Air Mass sensor Low Signal errors and main dealer

bertybassett

Reaction score
My car is an Audi a3 Diesel 09 1.9TDi that has done 45k and was out of warranty by 8 days

I took my car to the local audi dealer for a service, MOT and two engine management lights on the dashboard.

a) Engine management
b) Emission Control System

After a bill of £550 for servicing, MOT and a few parts for said MOT I was told I would need to pay another £209.93 for a airmass hence why the engine management lights were on. I told the deal that I would come back to them about this as I was a little short on cash.

However something wasn't adding, so i got them to send through an express visual check report and that did indeed list that a new airmass was needed at a cost of £209.93 included VAT. After checking the internet I think an airmass is also called a Mass Airflow Sensor. However listed on the service sheet was a parts that was replaced called an air meter (part number 038906461bx) cost 98.94 without VAT which the internet said was an Mass Airflow Meter. So my question is how can the dealer of changed the airmeter on the service sheet and then say it needs an airmass when they are the same thing? Or do I have this wrong and both items are in fact different parts?

An independent garage has given the car a scan and found low signal on the Mass Airflow sensor, so it does appear to be a problem but I thought an Mass Airflow Sensor would of been good for at least 120k not 45k that my car has done.

Last edited:
they can go at any mileage
id call audi and ask what part was changed

To clarify the part that was changed is the air meter (part number 038906461bx) and but now they say I need a new airmass to clear the engine management faults? are they the same parts?

I will call audi tomorrow and ask if the parts are the same but I guess I am just going to have to replace the AirMass as advised and go from there.

BTW Thanks for your speedy reply.

the part number is for the MAF air meter air mass what ever you like to call it
so you need to pop back there and ask why u have been charged for 1 and why you still need 1 ?

MAF, Mass Airflow Meter, Airmass meter, they are all the same thing, it's incredible Audi can quote that much for the part, and the labour is literally unplug the jubilee clips, remove, plug new one in and seal with new clips, 5 mins for anyone that knows what they are doing. They are prone to getting clogged with crap and so I would either clean or replace at that mileage