1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by chuckys3, Jun 26, 2004.

1. chuckys3

chuckys3 Member

Hi,

anyone recommend a direct air filter element replacement. My car is still under warranty so i don't want to make any major mods on it. But been told the standard air filter isn't great on a s3.

Been told k&n and pipecross ones are good.

anyone know where i can get a good one from.

any other thoughts guys and gals.
  2. HTC

HTC Active Member

Just keep to the standard jobbie.
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

It really depends what your looking for. If its performance, dont bother...makes very little difference (if any power) but can slightly alter the way it feels...although this could be down to perception.

If its for a bit of extra sound then there are 2 i recomend.

1st on is the Taipan filter. Carbon fibre case with a stainless steel filter element. Only takes in cold air and sound good.

2nd is a BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Airbox). Again a carbon fibre case, with an oiled cotton filter element. Again has a cold air intake, and sounds good.

Now yes, the BMC IS oiled. However, it is VERY VERY lightly oiled and i know people who have used this for over 12,000 miles and it has not caused a MAF problem! This was on a chipped S3 engine. Its well made and looks good in the engine bay.

The BMC is more stealthy than the Taipan. the BMC is purely carbon and black plastic so doesnt stick out, where as the taipan has highly polished end caps. a bit of *bling*

Both are aroud the same price (about £160)

Rich