Air Filter Element Removal - Please help

Platinum70

Reaction score
I have never been one for fiddling with cars myself but I tried to remove the air filter element and I cannot see how its done. There isn't enough movement in the air box lid to remove the filter. I did only remove the two top screws and some attachment to the box - must be something else to remove.

Is there a 'how to' or can someone please advise urgently.

Thanks

First remove the plastic trunking running from the top of the airbox to the front of the car, this is just a friction fit so a bit of wiggling and it's out, then remove the front bit of trunking held on by a single screw on the slam panel. Then just remove the 2 screws that hold the top of the airbox to the bottom and the whole thing levers off. Can't remember if you need to remove the big hose with the jubilee clip but it'll probably make life easier.

remember to have a look in the first bit of plastic trunking you remove

theres a plastic mesh clip in the end which was crammed with feathers and dust and muck when I first looked at mine

it should just pull out of the trunking

sounds like a crappy dangerous design to me! I'm used to crap IN the airbox, but not crap blocking the intake to the airbox...

I'd be tempted to remove that mesh..

already done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

i haven't looked in the last couple of weeks to see how much crud is now round the filter element ( will go and do it now)

there was quite a diff after cleaning it out

haven't noticed any change after removing it only a slight increase in noise from the K&N panel filter, which is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just checked and theres nothing out of the ordinary

the filter is upside down ? so nothing can sit on top to foul the airflow

clips for what?

theres no clips involved

only the two? visible screws at the top of the airbox and the flexipipe if necessary, theres also two hook thingys at the bottom if you look

How do you bypass the pipework running around the airbox. Goes down behind the heat shield and it stops the box from moving

[ QUOTE ]
How do you bypass the pipework running around the airbox. Goes down behind the heat shield and it stops the box from moving

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC Platinum you can unclip the hoses on the top of the airbox and just pull them to one side, after you've removed the two piece inlet trunk.

There is a hose on the right (looking down from the right of the car) that you can remove by squeezing the coupling that attaches it to the airbox.

Then you remove the two screws.

After that it is TIGHT but if you pull up on the base of the airbox you can release it from the rubber grommets in the chassis rail and then gain access to the air filter.

I had a bit of trouble the first time I tried to change my air filter but the key is releasing the base of the airbox and pulling it up an inch or two.

HTH

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif