Air con troubles

WelshWoody83

Reaction score
At the start of the recent warm weather I started using my air con for the first time since I bought my car, a 2008 sport back. The problem I had was that it blows hot like a hair dryer for 40-45 min and then cools down to what would feel like a standard desk fan, no icy coldness just a fan really.
I took it to my local garage who drained and refilled it but it was still the same, I took it back today (2weeks later) and they did the same again, they said they both over and under filled it but still no joy. It's just the same, hot air then just a fan.
Ive run a scan through my VCDS and there's no fault that I would accociate with it, it shows I have a prob with my boot light and radio but also that I need to change a spark plug.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks in advance....

At the start of the recent warm weather I started using my air con for the first time since I bought my car, a 2008 sport back. The problem I had was that it blows hot like a hair dryer for 40-45 min and then cools down to what would feel like a standard desk fan, no icy coldness just a fan really.
I took it to my local garage who drained and refilled it but it was still the same, I took it back today (2weeks later) and they did the same again, they said they both over and under filled it but still no joy. It's just the same, hot air then just a fan.
Ive run a scan through my VCDS and there's no fault that I would accociate with it, it shows I have a prob with my boot light and radio but also that I need to change a spark plug.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks in advance....[/QUOTE

Does your clutch engage and if so do you have condensation forming on the suction pipe (largest pipe) also is your air flow ok and not restricted due to a dirty pollen filter and are your vent fans at full tilt

I've had the bonet open when it's running and there's no clicking, the vents blow air fully, where is the large pipe I'd be looking for? The pollen filter was changed about 6 months ago at my cars service if that's the one behind the glove box? How would I check if the clutch engadges?
thank you

When your clutch is disengaged only the outer pulley runs ,when it engaged the center spins the suction pipe runs from the evaporator under the dash back to the compressor you will see it come through into the engine bay an run to the compressor also if your vent fans are not running at a high enough speed you compressor will disengage to stop liquid returning to the compressor as you can't compress a liquid.

VCDS I believe the aircon system pressure can be seen in the measuring blocks, can't remember which ones. But it will show a pressure change if the compressor is working. Clearer than listening for the clutch or watching pulleys and belts.

With the aircon switched on the discharge and suction pipes will be different temperatures. Note be careful because one will get very hot the other very cold if it's working correctly.

If you know any fridge engineers in your area they could check it as many garages don't have a clue it's a bit far for me to travel though you could have a number of issues choked drier,compressor not pumping,clutch with an excessive gap ,faulty expansion valve condenser fans not running causing it to trip on hp.