Air con smells

mm707

Reaction score
Hi,
Have used air con today for the first time in ages and had to switch it off after about ten minutes - it smells - maybe like stagnant water. When I get into the car normally and switch the ignition on I get a whiff of this for about 5 seconds from the windscreen de-mister but it clears - the air con however is not clearing.

any ideas what to check ?

Thanks

Go to Halfords and buy a Comma air conditioning aerosol cleaner. Follow the instructions.

Simple! :thumbsup:

Funny I suffered the same problem a few wks ago stunk like onions had to drive wit my head out the window ace venture style

It's down to bacteria that grows in the system and produces that funky smell. If you can, switch the air con on occasionally in winter as it reduces the chance of it happening.

I had mine done at Audi Watery Lane as it was on offer at half price, they called it an air bomb, and then needed to vent the car for a few hours. Didn't mind as they gave me a new B8 A4 Avant to tide me over.
When I went back to collect they didn't charge me for it, bonus.

Slight side effect was that the air coming out of the vents tended to put a film on the windows that I had to clean off, twice.

I've just had my A4 2.0T FSI Quattro Avant serviced today - the garage rang to say the A/C was smeilling when on full (I had noticed but forgot to tell them this morning).
They changed the pollen filter for a carbon one - the difference is so noticable! He showed me the old one and it was full of crap!!

would be better if audi gave you a car where you can actually turn the air con on and off like a normal system,then you can run it in winter to stop it fouling up.

would be better if audi gave you a car where you can actually turn the air con on and off like a normal system,then you can run it in winter to stop it fouling up.

Mine has a big shiny button marked "OFF".