Air Con Query

Kwatrow

Reaction score
On the first decent day of the year (in the South at least) I notice that my air conditioning is giving cool rather than very cold air. Is this likely to be a needing re-gas issue or something more serious. Your thoughts please.

Depends a bit on what you have set for cabin temperature. For a test, try setting the cabin temperature really low, and see if the delivered air is much colder. If not, it does suggest that the aircon compressor may be a bit low on gas. A scan by VCDS would also be a good idea, just to check if all is OK. If this is the first time you have asked for cold air this year, it may take a little time for the system to stabilize. If you only ask for a cool cabin temperature, the system will mix cold air with warm outside air. Good luck.

I'd got into the car after it had been in the sun all day and set the temperature down to 16 degrees. It did end up cooler than outside, but I guess I was expecting colder air. Yes it is the first demand for cold air this year, although I do tend to leave the A/C on 90% of the time to avoid seals failing and just put it on economy when I have all the windows open. It had a main dealer service about a week again and there were no alerts, although I don't know if they do a check on the computer. For the sake of £50 I might just get it re-gassed.

As a rule of thumb if the air coming out the vents is between 8-12c cooler than the cabin temp when it is on max (lo) and have the fans set to auto, there is no problem and the system is working efficiently. it is just overwhelmed by the heat loading inside the cabin.

Don't waste the cash unless you have to spend it a mod:)

Regards

Chilly......

(Refrigeration & Air Conditioning engineer and C&G assessor)