air con pulley replacement

troopa

Reaction score
What do I need to remove in order to replace the pulley on my air con and drive belt? Does the bumper and rads need removing or can I get to it all from under the car?
Any one have a how to?

which engine? they're on different sides / positions.

2.5 can just about, left sided 1.9 possibly (but haven't tried).

Have you got the pulley already? I have a nearly new compressor and pulley for a 1.9tdi available.

cheers
And

Hi Troopa,
When we did this on my car. We had the car up on a 2 post ramp, & did it with the compressor off it's mounting but still plugged in & supporting it with a transmission stand.

So I can get the belt off and on aswell?
Did you have 2 pulleys then paul or have I bought your old knackered one lol.

Would you believe it the AVF engine is listed with both fitments - if its on passenger side then it's similar to the 2.5 - you might struggle to get the (new) belt past the engine snub mount (but you can remove the snub mount), can you get to the tensioner for adjustment?

but as above there's enough slack in the pipes to get to the pulley - watch the a/con pipe clips as they're plastic and snap!

If you find you need a compressor give me a shout - as i can do it for 100 notes delivered (it was £423 two years ago and has had but a few months use - the previous owner tried to fit it to (my) 2.5.

And

Tried to fix this today and there is no bolt for the pulley but rather the shaft for the compressor pretuding from the centre. Needless to say i could not remove it, and with my efforts i managed to damage the compressor itself.. grrrrr. so now i need a new compressor. lovely. I miss my honda, so easy to work on.

I got a compressor for mine from an online parts scrap dealer for £126 inc delivery from memory. I didn't even try and replace the pulley.

Ive still got the rattle.
Just unsure which route to take now. Either way garage is going to do...

1. Just replace pulley £150 plus garage fitting.
2. Buy reconditioned compressor with pulley £200 plus fitting.
3. Fit pulley myself.

Iv read that changing compressor other parts are recommended to replace too.

Archemist! You still have compressor?

Trooper! Was it a knightmare? Did u remove bumper?

Best advice guys as this needs to be done while ive got time on my hands,not so much money thou :-(

sorry it's now in the hands of the OP!

hope you get it sorted:thumbsup:
And

I had a right mare trying to get the pulley off my compressor. Theres no nut it just has the shaft protruding. In the end I bought archemist's compressor but havnt had time to fit it yet.