1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Con Problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Lincoln S3, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lincoln S3

Lincoln S3 New Member

Hi all , today my air con has developed a fault . The system only operates with the econ button constantly on and blows no cold air . It did correct itself briefly today and blew ice cold so I know its not gas etc . Any idea on common faults or possible causes please ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics
    Supporter

I would get the gas check.
    They normally stop working if its low gas.

Best option is to really get VCDS on it and check for AC/HVAC faults.

4. TheKing

TheKing New Member

I've had this very same thing you need a regas.

5. Lincoln S3

Lincoln S3 New Member

Thanks for the replies folks .I didnt think it was gas as during a 140 mile trip yesterday it worked for 40 miles in between stops Surely if it was gas it wouldnt work at all ?

6. ScottD3

Supporter

The gas level could be low.
    It the pressure is to low or to high it will turn the pump off.

7. BigBird

BigBird Lost in music...

The ECON light staying on is the units way of saying there's a fault.

It could also be a sensor (cheap) or the compressor unit. Hope its not that, as it's front of car off jobbie and £900 at the stealers.

Got both done under warranty when I got mine - they're known, common A3 / VAG faults...

As Axios says, get it checked out.

8. alinghi9

alinghi9 Member

I have had a similar problem with my air con, no cold air, brought the car to Audi hoping it was not a component fault i.e. compressor failure and it would be a simple re-gas of the system. Audi re-gassed the system and I was told everything was in order, as soon as I drove home there was no cold air, of course not happy. Knew at this point it was definitely a component failure. Having done further research it seems to be regular issue with A3 models that it will fail around 20K mileage or 3 years, whereas normal compressors would generally last 8 years.

Just though I would give you my experience...let us know what your outcome is.

9. Lincoln S3

Lincoln S3 New Member

Thanks , I will let you know the outcome . The dealers workshop is busy and with work etc I cant get in until a week on Tuesday . Could do with some cooler weather !!!

10. ScottD3

Supporter

Do you know any one who has VCDS or is there a friendly member near you who could do a scan?
    Saves you from taking it to the dealers.

11. Lincoln S3

Lincoln S3 New Member

Well , the aircon started working properly a week ago . I kept my appointment at Boston Audi to get it checked anyway and the service dept could not find any fault . They gave it a full aircon service anyway and replaced a faulty rear wiper jet which I knew nowt about. Also got the car cleaned inside and out . Good service from a decent dealership .