1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIR CON NOT WORKING ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Andy Shipton, May 15, 2008.

1. Andy Shipton

Andy Shipton Member

Hi,can any body help me with the problem,the air con in my car is not working properly in the recent spell of hot weather i have had the settings on low but it is only blowing out hot air.
    does the system need regassing ?
    I have VAG COM but it does not show any faults.Is there a way using VAG COM to see if it does needs regassing?

ANDY
  2. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

Does the ECON light stay on permanantly?

It most likely needs regassing yes.

With the engine running, the ECON mode disabled and the temp to LO in Auto check under the bonnet that the fan on the front of the car on the right (as you look at it) is spinning.

Also get someone else in the car to press the ECON button on and off while you look at the compressor (mounted to the left of the engine and driven by a belt) and make sure as the button is turned on and off that the clutch is going in and out. You should hear the clunk at least.
  3. golf

golf ***** rent boy

You've either got it on ECON where the compressor doesn't kick in to save fuel, or it probably just needs a regas. To stop this from happening again you should use the air con on the lowest setting every so often, to keep the juices flowing, so to speak.
  4. Andy Shipton

Andy Shipton Member

thanks for the info guys i will check the clutch and fan the econ light can be switched on and off however i never use the econ button and my air con is on all the time i do not switch it off as i use it as climate control should be used to regulate the temp in both summer and winter conditions