air-con not working

celica

Reaction score
I thought it was to good to be true, had the car for exactly 1 year with no faults at all, but now the air-con just blows out warm air.i've checked the fuses ,all seem ok.anybody had the same problem? As luck would have it's great weather

Get it sorted under warranty.
Could be any number of things, none of them cheap.
May just need a regas, which would be the preferred option (£70+, or £100+ at Audi).
If it's a component failure (compressor, dryer, condenser etc) it gets expensive, lots of labour.

Thanks Andy Mac - I will phone Audi tomorrow, am I just unlucky? or is this something that can happen after just a year?

You might just be unlucky. A mate with a 4mo golf lost his air con on his brand new car within a couploe of months of collecting it he had a small pin ***** in the system caused by a stone and all the gas to leaked out.

J.

1 year!? Had mine 2 months and the air con has gone twice.

The first time (2 weeks ago) they claimed it needed regassing so they did this. A week later it went again - after making some very strange squeaky noises. Its going back to the stealer on Friday.

phoned up the dealer today and booked the car in, asked him if the re pair was all under warranty, he told me that if a stone has punctured the condenser it would be down to me, he said he's known pidgeons and pheasants to damage the aircon i don't remember running any down

Those ****** birds, when I see one walking down the street with a screwdirver in wing I make a point to run them down....

Fingers crossed Radwo that it's not the condensor thats punctured.

J.

thanks marriedblonde,if when i go and have it sorted next week they find a hole with feathers round it, i'll know i've been stitched up

steve k i'd like to know how you get with the next visit to the stealers , good luck

No prob - I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.

Pretty sure mine is not likely to be a puncture to the condenser. First time it went it made a strange squeaky sound and then just stopped working. This time, the squeaky sound was a lot worse and after a bit of testing I discovered it was dependent on the engine revs (higher the revs the more regular the squeaking) and if I put in the clutch or switched on the Econ button it would stop squeaking. So I'm pretty sure mine is at fault somewhere in the connection from engine to air con unit. I'm certainly not going to take any fluffy bird stories...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Has just happened to my A3 too - just over 1 year old! The weather was nice and sunny, so put aircon on Lo, it seemed quite cold to start with, then after about 15 miles it really was blowing out warm air. Rang local dealer, they again said to me that they would not be able to tell me if the problem was covered by warranty until they had taken a look. Took it in last Thursday and told that I needed a new aircon compressor, do not have any in stock, 10 day delivery from Germany, and is covered under the warranty at a price of £540 for the part and £60 labour (2hrs I was told). So after the 23rd May mine should be working again!

Radwo, if you need an air-con expert, this bloke is excellent and sorted out my old A3.

I'll PM you his details, based in Chesham.

Well, I was trying to read the invoice for the work to be carried out, so that was a guess at £60 for the labour, unless that was for another part for the aircon - how much is Audi labour an hour? Luckily, never personally had to pay for it, and don't intend to in the future!

Well I dropped my car in at the dealer on Friday - by the afternoon they had not been able to diagnose the problem. Got a call this morning saying it was the condenser leaking. New one on order - arriving tomorrow hopefully.

They say this is apparently becoming a very common fault for A3s (hence shortage of parts).

thanks steve k for letting me know about the leaky codenser, i take my car in on wednesday i'ii let you know the outcome

Mine has just packed in this morning and I really haven't got time to be taking it to the stealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Unlucky. If its a condenser prob like mine it does apparently take a while to rectify (even once they have the parts), as the front bumper needs to come off etc. apparently.

Picking mine up tomorrow so hopefully this'll be the end of it.

It's all very weird. Working last night and not working again this morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Booster

Same happened to me. Started with an intermittent fault then, after a few days, it gave up all together, presumably when the condenser had completely leaked. Got mine back today and seems to be working fine now, touchwood.

took the car to the dealers today, they said it needs a new compressor,10 days to get the parts but at least it's under warranty

At least thats a good result Radwo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

So have A3's got condenser AND compressor problems then? Anyone else had any trouble?

No problems here.

My Sportback is only 5 months old so it's early days yet. Spring is just getting started here in Holland and apart for some de-misting I haven't had much need for the airco yet. Let's see if it survives summer. I sure hope this is not going to be a weak spot. Airco repairs can be very expensive!