1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air con not working HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by AudiJohn, Jun 18, 2010.

1. AudiJohn

AudiJohn Member

Hi Guy's,
    Before it gets to the stage of buying new parts could anyone advise on an issue with my aircon, no cold air is coming through when the aircon is switched on, i'm assuming it has gas in it and iv'e checked the fuses. I can't here it kick in when switched on though and the rev's don't drop. Has anyone come across this issue.

regards
    John
  2. Ryanmt

Ryanmt Member

Read the fault codes?
  3. paulsb

paulsb Member

just went out and checked mine, no drop in revs but there should be a very small change in engine noise(sound slitly deeper) with the engine sounding like it being slowed.

the difference is quite hard to notce but there should be a change.

hope this helps
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm assuming that the ECON button isn't on?
  5. AudiJohn

AudiJohn Member

Yes mate, the econ button is off. do you think it could be the compressor not kicking in because i'm sure previously you could here it cut in, any thing to check on these.
  6. quattrojames

If the gas is very low it will isolate the compressor and the ECON light will be ON. In my experience hearing the compresser click in has always been a bit hit and miss and very temperature dependant - personally I would never rely on it to diagnose a problem.

It could be the gas is low, but still has enough pressure to keep the compresser working - most aircon places will do a pressure test for free. Or it could of course be a faulty compressor /clutch. Does the air feel at all cool to you? Does it have the humidity of non airconditioned air?
  7. quattrojames

PS when i said ECON 'button' I meant ECON 'Light'! ..... it's not illuminated?
  8. AudiJohn

AudiJohn Member

Quattro james - no the light isn't on mate, just lights up when normal heating/cooling mode is selected. the temperature from all vents seems to be warm and you can feel a difference in humidity. Going off what you have commented on i think i will see if i can get it pressure tested.
  9. quattrojames

Are you saying the ECON light is on sometimes?
  10. chancer

chancer Member

He is saying the econ button appears to work as it should, regards illumination. i.e. the light illuminates with the Aircon off and extinguishes when the Aircon is on, but the aircon is not having any effect.
  11. quattrojames

Ah ok I see what he means now, thanks for clarifying.