Air con not very cold and blows black foam from vents

bretto

Reaction score
Gday guys,

I have a problem with my air con system, its not overly cold. I had it re-gassed recently which helped a little but not much.
When im stationary the air blows cool, but when i drive at speed it blows warm. It also seems to be cooler at lower fan settings. Im also getting heaps of little pieces of black foam coming out of the vents..

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

I think you have answered the question yourself mate... the foam is most likely the seals used on the flaps to control where the stream of air is coming from and I suspect the issue you have is that warm air is leaking past the flaps and mixing with the cold...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply.

Whats the part called where the mixing flaps are? Do you know whats involved in fixing it?

I would imagine it involves removing the dash to get to the heater unit as all the flaps etc are behind there... not had one out of an A3 so not sure where they are exactly or whats involved but I have removed the heater unit from my A4 to change the matrix and that was a ball ache...

Have a look in the maintenance manuals in the stickies as they may have details in there... failing that then maybe a Haynes manual might help...

<tuffty/>