1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

air con dont like the cold

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jeffers999, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

[Dec 11, 2007]
    Hey ok guys i have a problem with my air-con and funny enough so does my mate (chris audi) when i get in the car in the cold morning if i put my air con on it turns straight back off, Untill the car is warm ish then it works great any ideas cheers guys..
    jeff
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. joost

joost Active Member

[Dec 11, 2007]
    Don't worry about it - there's no problems with it, mine's exactly the same. AFAIK it's supposed to do that.

I couldn't tell you why to be honest but if you have a quick search about, there's some info on here.
  4. joost

joost Active Member

[Dec 11, 2007]
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 11, 2007]
    When the air is below 5degreeC, the compressor isn't needed basically, as the air should be cold enough to have little moisture in it. It won't kick in, as it will save you fuel, and prevent the compressor from freezing itself over.
  6. S3 chj

S3 chj Member

[Dec 11, 2007]
    just what i wanted to know thanks mate
  7. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

[Dec 11, 2007]
    Wowo cool cheers these audi things are cool aint they cheers everyone.
  8. jojo

[Dec 11, 2007]
    Another thing you guys might also want to know, the compressor, when switched on, will switch off when you put your foot down full throttle, pedal to the metal, so you can make use off all the power without the aircon sapping any bhp! This is the case for 1.8T's in the VAG range, not too sure of other engines.
  9. jeffers999

jeffers999 got boost

[Dec 11, 2007]
    now thats cool aswell
  10. mattfinn

mattfinn Smoking is good for you

[Dec 11, 2007]
    My throat still goes dry and my balls tighten up when I bury the throttle of my S4, is that the same thing?
  11. danotto

danotto VAG HUNTER

[Dec 12, 2007]
    lol
  12. simch

simch Active Member

[Dec 12, 2007]
    I think you may be burying it in the wrong thing! :)
  13. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Dec 12, 2007]
    Guys, I have a very similar problem..

It seemed okay this morning, but last night after the gym, and just now, once the engine is running the fans don't blow at all... I have the front windscreen logo up, the powers whacked on full.. but nothing? Not even cold air.

Last night after the gym, I had to sit and wait for about 10 minutes.. I couldn't see... I can't work out why they're not 'atleast' blowing out the cold air?!

Any help =/ ? ta
  14. noodle

noodle Member

[Dec 12, 2007]
    I read this with interest as this has never happened to my S3's AC, even when i floor the accelerator it stays on??

Maybe this was an issue with some models? Mine's an 03..
  15. danotto

danotto VAG HUNTER

[Dec 12, 2007]
    jimmeh if the ac unit wont let out any air from the unit until the engine has warmed up.if it did it would only be able to give you cold air therefore if you have the temp set high it wont give you any air until the engine is warm enough to produce the air temp that you want.Hope this helps:arco:
  16. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Dec 13, 2007]
    ah, right.. SO... if when it happens again (it was fine this morning), I set the 'thermostat' to a reasonable temperature (Not 'HI') it should be able to atleast 'blow'..?

The reasoning is there.. and with it being so damned cold at the minute, I can understand.

17. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Dec 14, 2007]
    Agh! What a nightmare..

Leaving a gig late last night, I return to one steamed up car, with 4 hot and sticky 'beings' inside..

Right, so my blowers aren't working again - oh no! We'll sit here, listen to some music, and wait for the engine to warm...

20 minutes later, the car is running at 90degrees, the blowers still don't work.. I'm nearly crying at this point. The CD player wasn't working either?! It wouldn't read my perfectly normal CD, nor would it eject it...?!

I had to leave the windows down for another 10 minutes whilst we freeezed, waiting for the temperature inside to drop. I had a Microfibre with me, once it started to condense, I gave a good rub, and things started to look promising. It was less than ideal, but we had to move. A mile down the road, the temperature gauge drops back to 60, and the blowers start to work.......?

WTF. Can someone please tell me whats going on? Was it a case of having to get the vehicle moving, before the compressor warms..!? I don't get it?! :(
  18. lil_coz

lil_coz Active Member

[Dec 14, 2007]
    Sounds as thought you may have probs! If the temp is sitting at 90 and then randomly drops to 60 cant be good!

When its cold and you push the button to set the blowers to de-mist the front window, they should come on full no matter what the temp. Should take a min or 2 max to de-mist. As Dannoto said, if you've got it set on auto and its cold, dont expect your heaters to blow much air out. It'll wait to have warm air before it starts blowing it in the car to raise it to your required temp.

Its Audi's way of not introducing a windchill factor inside the car :icon_thumright:
  19. jojo

20. joost

joost Active Member

[Dec 14, 2007]
    Could also be that the thermostat is goosed - same thing happened on mine with the temp dropping. I changed the stat and all was good again. Didn't have an issue with the blower tho. Dunno whether the cd player prob is linked sorry.

Just a thought (and I don't have many), does the coolant temp sender have a feed to the climate unit?

Hope you get it sorted soon matey
  21. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Jan 4, 2008]
    Thanks for the replies here guys, I've not been on in a while. sadly, the unit is stil the same. I've lost all 'blow' power now, even when the car's been active for 20/30 minutes..

I was asked if it was a fuse? Is this possible? When the '+' is pressed and one 'power bar' shows, you can hear the compressor(?) down in the passenger footwell, but nothing comes of it - it just clunks. Rather annoyed about it now, it's starting to become a problem. Will probably drop it into a garage at some point. :(
  22. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jan 4, 2008]
    I havent read the thread - but i have had problems recently with the connector going into the fan.... may be worth taking the glove box off and moving it around to see if it is that..... apparently, a common problem is the connections inside the fan which become loose requiring a new fan. I ended up tie wrapping the cable back on its self which solved the problem.

Tim
  23. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Jan 5, 2008]
    Thanks Animal..

i've taken today out to try and fix this problem, once and for all...

See below:

[​IMG]

The wire i'm holding, is this what you were talking about? Is the circular module seen the compressor!? What can be done from here :S ?!?

This isn't ideal as I feel as rough as a badgers arse today too... damn illness.

Thank you
  24. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 5, 2008]
    If the blower is behaving erratically, then it's almost definately the brushes wearing out in the blower itself. This is a common problem.
    So if you use the manual controls on the CC unit (bypassing the temp sensors etc) and whack up the fan speed and nothing happens then the blower is at fault. You can either buy new brushes, or a whole new blower. Also just taking the blower apart and cleaning up the brushes and extending their springs will give you a temporary fix.
  25. 1animal1

[Jan 5, 2008]
    Thats the one Jim, i wrapped the wire back on its self and tie wrapped, this seemed to put pressure on the plug when it was reinserted so that the contacts inside didnt jump about.....extremely temporary, but lasted me a good year at least...... somebody elses problem now:moa:
  26. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Jan 5, 2008]
    :)

Cheers Tim. Managed to find out that it worked the hard way..

[​IMG]

I've got another problem now.. half the dash is still missing, and now the car won't start!!!

See HERE :)
  27. 1animal1

[Jan 5, 2008]
    One word Jim and im sure you've used it a few times today!! Feck!!

lol, feelin a bit sorry for you bud. It looks like mine when i fitted my bluetooth kit....never fully ripped apart the steering column though, just the lower panel.....

Let us know how you get on, will help where possible:readit: , quite a few more in here that are far more experianced than me, happily for you:thumbsup:

Tim