1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Con condenser - design fault??

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Kempysue, May 4, 2014.

1. ADW 774

ADW 774 New Member

[Jun 23, 2014]
    Yes stones can take out windscreens, but that is an accepted risk that costs £75 excess to repair. What i don't accept is the risk of an £800 bill that could easily be prevented with a more robust condenser or a £10 mesh liner to the front grill.

Devonshire - contact Audi UK and report the issue. They may contribute towards the repair. They paid 70% towards mine. But they also said "it's a rare occurrence" so they need to be informed. The more people it happens to the more likely they are to engineer an aftermarket fix.

Failing that Phil Davies in Plymouth quoted me £550 to repair it.
    01752 664471

Good luck x[/QUOTE]

I took my October 2013 A3 1.4 TFSi Sportback (3400 miles of careful motoring on the clock) to my local Audi dealer last week for investigation due to not being able to select the AC button.

The diagnosis was stone damage to the top offside corner of the compressor fins - with a quotation for repair of £800.

I requested to see the service manager, and be shown the damage. The actual area damaged is tiny, but enough to cause a total loss of coolant.

Having politely expressed my disbelief and displeasure, the service manager advised me that Audi UK would pay 50% towards the repair.

Obviously this was welcome news, but the fact that they made the offer without too much pressure from me makes me think Audi are aware of a potential problem with the new A3 design in this area.

Like others on this forum I cannot prove when the AC last worked as there is not too much need for it between October and May in Manchester!

How many others have been offered allowances against the cost of the repair and what percentage?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
  2. frazzeld

frazzeld Member

[Jun 24, 2014]
    I have now had to book my car in for AC checking.....No AC! doesnt even seem to switch on! the switch light illuminates, no noise or rev changes all I get is hot air, I had a look through the gaps on the grill and can see where stones have hit the condenser but they seem tiny
  3. amped2

amped2 Active Member

[Jun 25, 2014]
    it won't take a lot to puncture a condenser,they are made of very very thin materials.

Rich
  4. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl

[Jun 28, 2014]
    Porsche Boxster/Cayman GTS

[​IMG]
  5. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl

[Jul 5, 2014]
    Mercedes Vito/Viano

[​IMG]
  6. frazzeld

frazzeld Member

[Jul 9, 2014]
    Had my car in today for the AC checking.....seems I was fortunate! it turned out to be a faulty high pressure sensor that was coverd by warranty
    veeeight likes this.
  7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Jul 10, 2014]
    I wouldn't say it was fortunate I would say you just had a fault which happens more often than a stone causing damage. Oh wait, maybe that can be put down to a poor design as well?
  8. glospete

glospete Well-Known Member

[Jul 10, 2014]
    No, he is fortunate because his fault was covered by warranty and the stone damage would not be!
    frazzeld and Martinbanshee like this.
  9. benhock101

benhock101 Member

[Jul 10, 2014]
    This thread has made me rather edgy....I suppose being well informed before delivery is beneficial in case anything happens and I definitely agree that road condition/quality is a shambles in some places near here (putting it mildly).

I fail to see why, if Audi UK say it's such a rare fault, it is not then covered by warranty. Those who have had this problem have not set out to cause it or shown any negligence to cause the damage and if it indeed is so rare, then from a financial point of view, they shouldn't expect to take much of a hit. This problem has never even crossed my mind so I must remember to check my current car's condenser later!
  10. glospete

glospete Well-Known Member

[Jul 10, 2014]
    Look I'm on your side and not batting for Audi! But my guess (and it's only a guess) is that no matter how rare the fault is, they will argue that damage per se is not covered by warranty. If it was everyone who had their alloys, windscreen, paintwork damaged by road debris/stones etc would make a claim. I agree that it does look like a bad bit of design (and the fact that Audi has made ex gratia payment as contributions towards repairs indicates this) but damage caused by these objects is nowhere the same as a component failure caused by manufacture and therefore is unlikely to be treated as such. But about the only course of action we have is to make a claim on Audi IF we have such an unfortunate incident and hope that precedent helps in their treatment of each case.
  11. benhock101

benhock101 Member

[Jul 10, 2014]
    My only argument there is that windscreens, alloys and paintwork are far more commonplace in their need for repair/replacement and accepted as a part of vehicle ownership. After all, you're not going to strap a 10ft x 10ft mesh to the front of your car to prevent stones coming anywhere near :icon_thumright: Seriously though, I totally understand what you're saying, I just think for a potentially £30k+ car, I'd expect a slight more protective design or at least the decency to have at least some contribution towards that particular repair decided from the outset should the worst happen. I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones and not have a problem though!