Air Con condenser - design fault??

Maybe have an hour free with a solicitor

VW sell a gaurd that clips onto the condeser. Part number 1K0 820 746

78ec1bu-960.jpg

VW sell a gaurd that clips onto the condeser. Part number 1K0 820 746

78ec1bu-960.jpg

That item is listed in ETKA as costing £7.69. I cannot find an illustration to get any idea of how it fixes.

This post will probably generate some questions which is why I tried to find my source (without success) before posting.

Am sure I read somewhere that there is a 3 digit build code option that includes extra protection for some countries with harsh environments/ roads, but that it wasn't deemed necessary for UK market. I think it was the opposite of 1SA?

Will keep looking so don't flame me.

In the interim maybe people with more Audi systems access can find the 3 digit option code?

John.

Would be interested in seeing how that fits I took about 15 torx screws out and still nothing was loose it looked like the whole bumper and front had to come off. There was so many plastic clips as well was worried about something snapping and not going back properly .

This post will probably generate some questions which is why I tried to find my source (without success) before posting.

Am sure I read somewhere that there is a 3 digit build code option that includes extra protection for some countries with harsh environments/ roads, but that it wasn't deemed necessary for UK market. I think it was the opposite of 1SA?

Will keep looking so don't flame me.

In the interim maybe people with more Audi systems access can find the 3 digit option code?

John.

Again looking at ETKA it quotes a two 3-digit code of against the 1K0 820 746 part number.
2UB - heavy duty suspension
5C1 - body version (model specific with increased safety/security measures

Looking at an illustration on the PartsBase.org on-line database it looks like the guard only protects the lower section and not the whole thing.

Here is a like to the illustration: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF/VARIANT/4MOTION [GOLF] (EUROPE) 2013 [Golf 1K-D-000 001 >>]: FUEL, EXHAUST, COOLING: 26041. REFRIGERANT CIRCUIT; A/C CONDENSER

Reactions: warren_S5
Dave,

Welcome back btw. :)

Do the Golf Mk.7 and A3 8V share the same condenser part number? In which case the guard will be interchangeable for both cars?

edit:
PS: The mounting of this guard requires 8 clips, Part No.16 in the illustration in the post above.
It looks like it clips to the fins of the condenser.

Last edited:
Dave,

Welcome back btw. :)

Do the Golf Mk.7 and A3 8V share the same condenser part number? In which case the guard will be interchangeable for both cars?

edit:
PS: The mounting of this guard requires 8 clips, Part No.16 in the illustration in the post above.
It looks like it clips to the fins of the condenser.

The part numbers are very similar - VW 5Q0 816 411 M and Audi 5Q0 816 411 AJ.

The Audi part was changed with effect from 05.05.2014 so whether that means it been made more resistant to be hit by stones I don't know.

I dare say goin by that, the guard will fit. For less than £20 I'm very tempted to take a punt on it.

The only downside is having to remove the front of the car to clip it all in !

Reactions: kanecullen89
I dare say goin by that, the guard will fit. For less than £20 I'm very tempted to take a punt on it.

The only downside is having to remove the front of the car to clip it all in !

Just adds fuel to the flames that Audi should be doing something about this though if there is both (a) an identified OEM protective cover and (b) it is so cheap!!! Can only imagine the cost to Audi themselves if it is available for less than £10 to the consumer!!

I for one will cause blue murder if I am unlucky enough to have this go wrong with mine - and with my daily commute being 35 miles each way of almost entirely motorway driving I think I am probably a 'high risk candidate'!!

Even if the cost was only 50p to Audi you have to multiply it by the number of cars built which will add up to a considerable amount. All companies look to cost savings where ever they can but that is not to say they don't fit it because of the cost saving. As far as I understand the majority of UK cars do not have any protection for the condenser. If you google damaged condensers you get quite a hit back Google It happens but it seems that the majority of motor manufactures feel the risks are very low...

Reactions: ValleyA3
Even if the cost was only 50p to Audi you have to multiply it by the number of cars built which will add up to a considerable amount. All companies look to cost savings where ever they can but that is not to say they don't fit it because of the cost saving. As far as I understand the majority of UK cars do not have any protection for the condenser. If you google damaged condensers you get quite a hit back Google It happens but it seems that the majority of motor manufactures feel the risks are very low...

I don't quite agree with your argument regarding cost... Whether it is 1 car or a thousand the relative percentage cost to the price we have paid Audi for the car does not change...

I don't quite agree with your argument regarding cost... Whether it is 1 car or a thousand the relative percentage cost to the price we have paid Audi for the car does not change...

I agree. Would personally be happy to pay Audi £10 more for my £40k car if it meant I didn't have to fork out £800 every couple of months for a new condenser! (Mine lasted somewhere between 1 day and 4 weeks - really not an acceptable frequency of failure!)

I agree. Would personally be happy to pay Audi £10 more for my £40k car if it meant I didn't have to fork out £800 every couple of months for a new condenser! (Mine lasted somewhere between 1 day and 4 weeks - really not an acceptable frequency of failure!)

Hi kempysue,

did if you have any joy from Facebook/twitter, I saw they asked you to get in touch

Rich

From your point of view perhaps, however from a business point of view if the risk is very very slight why reduce your profits over something that, as far as I know, no other manufacturer fits in the UK?

As I stated before, the same debate happened over condensors with the Mk4 Mondeos, nothing was changed by the manufacturer...

Last edited:
From your point of view perhaps, however from a business point of view if the risk is very very slight why reduce your profits over something that, as far as I know, no other manufacturer fits in the UK?

As I stated before, the same debate happened over condensors with the Mk4 Mondeos, nothing was changed by the manufacturer...

Lets see if you still have that attitude when it happens to you! ;-)
In my mind it's a complete no-brainer to fit a £10 grill to save your customers £800 if (and more likely "when" based on the design of the new bumper) the damage does occur. I would be happy to pay £40,010 for my new car instead of £40,000 to save the worry and upset of an £800 bill within the first month of ownership. Designers are supposed to "learn lessons" and improve designs, not make them worse.

Spoken by the girl with an £800 bill in less than one month of owning the car.

I spoke to my salesman regarding this and he was very surprised that this wouldn't be covered under warranty, he has also mentioned he is not aware of this happening to any of the cars they have sold (yet). He did add however that if it was to happen to me (high motorway mileage) he would sort it out for me and that I need not worry (he is also talking to parts department about the part and possibly fitting it).

I spoke to my salesman regarding this and he was very surprised that this wouldn't be covered under warranty, he has also mentioned he is not aware of this happening to any of the cars they have sold (yet). He did add however that if it was to happen to me (high motorway mileage) he would sort it out for me and that I need not worry (he is also talking to parts department about the part and possibly fitting it).

Youve only got to do a bit of research to see it is happening quite a lot. Although I'm sure everyone you speak to at Audi will deny that.

Youre a lucky chap though, Coventry Audi refused to repair it and said "what do you expect us to do about it". My car is less than 2 months old (probably happened even earlier)

Would be interested in seeing how that fits I took about 15 torx screws out and still nothing was loose it looked like the whole bumper and front had to come off. There was so many plastic clips as well was worried about something snapping and not going back properly .

When my car was in for a water pump replacement the service agent rang me with an update and said he was surprised to see that the entire front of the car had to be removed to gain access. That being the case I think your comments are probably correct.

When my car was in for a water pump replacement the service agent rang me with an update and said he was surprised to see that the entire front of the car had to be removed to gain access. That being the case I think your comments are probably correct.

Are Audi very clever (£140 an hour for labour) or very stupid??

Youve only got to do a bit of research to see it is happening quite a lot. Although I'm sure everyone you speak to at Audi will deny that.

Youre a lucky chap though, Coventry Audi refused to repair it and said "what do you expect us to do about it". My car is less than 2 months old (probably happened even earlier)

He probably said he will sort it as i have approached him about it before the fact and only a couple of days after I picked up the car.

Saying that when i had an 'out of warranty' issue with the door of my previous used A3, they couldn't do enough to help (7 months after I bought it). They repaired a patch of rust that had previously been repaired to a poor quality, they didn't have the repair on record so wasn't done by Audi.

I suppose it depends on the dealer and luck.

Sorry to hear about yours though, hope it all gets resolved soon.

He probably said he will sort it as i have approached him about it before the fact and only a couple of days after I picked up the car.

Saying that when i had an 'out of warranty' issue with the door of my previous used A3, they couldn't do enough to help (7 months after I bought it). They repaired a patch of rust that had previously been repaired to a poor quality, they didn't have the repair on record so wasn't done by Audi.

I suppose it depends on the dealer and luck.

Sorry to hear about yours though, hope it all gets resolved soon.

Thanks... me too... I haven't lost faith in Audi just yet....

Lets see if you still have that attitude when it happens to you! ;-)
In my mind it's a complete no-brainer to fit a £10 grill to save your customers £800 if (and more likely "when" based on the design of the new bumper) the damage does occur. I would be happy to pay £40,010 for my new car instead of £40,000 to save the worry and upset of an £800 bill within the first month of ownership. Designers are supposed to "learn lessons" and improve designs, not make them worse.

Spoken by the girl with an £800 bill in less than one month of owning the car.

It might never happen, I am not on the side of Audi against you, far from it, and I agree with what you are saying in principle. It maybe that with the deterioration in our roads manufacturers may have to look at fitting guards to UK cars. But they are very unlikely to do this because you've been extremely unlucky...

Sue,

In your dealings with Audi, have you played the environmental card yet...something along the lines of...

"Given the high possibility of such damage occurring on many vehicles within the Audi range, I would assume that any escape of refrigerant, which contributes to global warming, and many also deplete the ozone layer, is not in line with Audi’s environmental policies."

Just a thought.

Billy

It might never happen, I am not on the side of Audi against you, far from it, and I agree with what you are saying in principle. It maybe that with the deterioration in our roads manufacturers may have to look at fitting guards to UK cars. But they are very unlikely to do this because you've been extremely unlucky...

I think its fair enough you haven't done the research that I have as you've been lucky enough not to be affected. But believe me, my research has shown that this is not uncommon (especially those who drive on motorway at speed) with the very open grill of the new 8v.

Last edited:
Sue,

In your dealings with Audi, have you played the environmental card yet...something along the lines of...

"Given the high possibility of such damage occurring on many vehicles within the Audi range, I would assume that any escape of refrigerant, which contributes to global warming, and many also deplete the ozone layer, is not in line with Audi’s environmental policies."

Just a thought.

Billy

Hi Billy. I did hint at the environmental impact although not as eloquently as you. Will certainly reinforce the point you've made when I speak to them again.
Thanks!!

I am now getting angry at this. Audi point blank refuse that they are at fault or to offer any goodwill. The weather is getting warmer and my car is too! This is a matter of principle somewhat, I hate the fact I have to give them £700 odd pound to fix my air conditioning with such an obvious design fault, as that means more profit for them.

They haven't even offered to supply the part free of charge and for me to pay the labour. Nothing, nada, nowt.

I think its fair enough you haven't done the research that I have as you've been lucky enough not to be affected. But believe me, my research has shown that this is not uncommon (especially those who drive on motorway at speed) with the very open grill of the new 8v.

So where are all these 8v owners that have had this happen coming from, not here. Please do share your information...

This was interesting to read.

I would get this in writing if you can, I can imagine if this does happen to you they'll suddenly forget any conversation you've had about this potential problem.

In addition if you were able to share what you are able to get in writing this would support the likes of me where this has happened already.

Reactions: EdKent
That's 2 then, however I think my point is being missed. Even if 500 owners in Europe has this happen unless they can actually prove to Audi that there is a design flaw then nothing will happen aside from maybe a gesture made by their local Audi dealer. I might just be cynical, or realistic, but individually you will not get much change from a large profit making organisation unless all the owners get together and prove beyond doubt that there is a flaw. Large companies put profits before anything, even safety, as Toyota found out until they got taken to task in America.

Last edited:
Not quite!

So, getting back to the OP subject....I'm not happy!

Car went in yesterday, had to keep it overnight, called this morning and told it was stone damage to the condenser and won't be covered by warranty...so that will be in excess of £600!!
I think you can imagine my reaction.

I know the dealer is limited in what they can do - I work in a similar environment and have a good friend and colleague who was once the Warranty Administrator at said dealership...

I've already been on the phone to Audi Customer Services to set the ball rolling, and expect to get a large part if not all paid, bearing in mind car only just over 2 months old. And so far had to visit dealer 5 times.

Of course this doesn't explain their initial wrong diagnosis when, as I suspected, there was a leak all along.

What I don't get - and this is a problem with most makes, is if these parts are so susceptible to stone damage, why don't they have adequate protection? It wouldn't be difficult. The cynic in me says it because they know the customer will always have to pay for the repairs...

So where are all these 8v owners that have had this happen coming from, not here. Please do share your information...

From here, Audi UK Facebook, Audizine.com..... etc.
Cuke2u I'm glad you are happy with your car. Myself and others believe it's a clear design fault with a simple and inexpensive fix. You don't think Audi will listen. We hear you. :)

Reactions: cuke2u
@h5djr

With regard to the Part number 1K0 820 746 you mentioned above for protecting the condensor. I have spoken to Audi Bristol and they have said that this is only for the previous A3 8P model. Not A3 8V.

How else can we protect our condensors?

@h5djr

With regard to the Part number 1K0 820 746 you mentioned above for protecting the condensor. I have spoken to Audi Bristol and they have said that this is only for the previous A3 8P model. Not A3 8V.

How else can we protect our condensors?

by fitting some mesh,noticed this mooring when i got in from work that it looks like it has already saved me once looking at the hole in the mesh.

Reactions: veeeight
now just need you to come round and sort me out - so to speak !

Fitting some black ties today so will post some picks, I'm off next week so can do you if you want lol

Reactions: gjpgjp and Belfin