Air Con/Climate Control Problem

shippy

Reaction score
Hi

Bought a secondhand 53-reg A6 Avant about 6 weeks ago and I didn't think the heating side of the air con was working properly (didn't heat up very quickly or reach a high temp), but needed the cooling over the weekend and this doesn't seem to be working properly either.

Used to have a Golf with Climate Control and the Hi setting was like being in a sauna and the Lo setting like a fridge and I assume the systems would be similar.

Is there anything simple that I can check/fix myself before I use the services of a dealer?

Thanks

i wouldn't even bother looking yourself. As your's is a 53, it's still in warranty (unless it's an import without extended warranty).

Take it to a dealer, and let them do the work.

I thought about that, but I don't have any sort of warranty documents, will a dealer just accept it because of the age?

I don't think it's an import because it's an ex-fleet car.

They'll have access all the info on the car - you should take it to your local dealer and get them to sort it out.

There won't be any warranty documents, its just assumed that because your car is less than 3 years old, it its fully covered by manaufacturers warranty - as already said, all the cars details will be on their database "dialog".

Providing you have a good dealer, the process usually goes something like:

Book car into dealership - request courtesy car.
Take car in
They inspect car, and find out whats wrong.
They give car back, and fill out a warranty claim.
They ring you to book another appointment so the car can be fixed - ask for a courtesy car.
You take the car in on that day.
Either they ring you to say its not ready today, or you turn up to pick it up to find it's not fixed yet.
You go back home in the courtesy car.
You pick up your car the next day.

Beware too, under the terms of the warranty, you are liable for any "Diagnostics" costs - in other words, they may charge you for the time it takes them to figure out what parts need replacing (at their usual £100/hour). I have yet to be ever charged this though in 3 warranty claims.

Good luck.

Cheers, I'm off to take to my local dealer now, will let you know what they tell me.

Well it's booked in for Thursday, they thought it might be due to not having an Air Con service.

A '53 car shouldn't necessarily need one!

Hope you get it sorted out.

Well I've just found out what is wrong, the compressor in the Air Con is defunct and needs replacing at a cost of approx. £1,100

Fortunately for me the warranty will cover £950 of the claim and I'll have to pay the initial inspection costs, the buggers!