Air Bag warning light?

c11rgd

Reaction score
got a 1998 1.9 tdi, dont think ive got seat airbags but neway the light came on and wont go off? ne one got any clues?

Are you sure you don't have seat airbags? My 1.9 TDi 1998 does and its not the SE model.

If you raise the front seats and check under the seat you should see 2 connectors. One has 2 wires and the other has 1 wire.

Make sure they are seated correctly, or remove them and use contact cleaner and re-fit. I have the same problem on mine as I share the car with my wife and she is always adjusting the seat up and down. The connectors are not much cop and are prone to failure.

You will have to get the light reset by a dealer or someone who has VAG-COM.

If you pass Milton Keynes on your travels I can do it for you.

Regards,

Jim.

thanx jim yeah ive got those connectors its just that on he side of the seat i cant see where it says airbag or is it not meant to. neaways had a brief look they look connected guess il have to get right under.

Normally you have a small piece of plastic/leather attached on the side of the seat that has 'Airbag' stamped on it. If you feel the side of the seat you can feel a hard section, that will be the airbag housing.

As stated above, the connectors are prone to failure, mine are securly connected but they still fail intermittantly.

I have read about some people who directly solder the wires and bypass the connectors.

Might be worth checking out with VAG-COM or a dealer before doing anything else incase there is a problem elsewhere.

Jim.