air bag light on and faulty brake light warning on dash ?

theviking

Reaction score
As above wht to do break lights are all working !?:crying:

As said above, you need to get your hands on vag-com, where are you based as some on the forum may be able to scan your car.

I'm in cleveleys, so not too far a drive if you want me to scan it for you.

What does the brake warning look like?

it incentre where the petrol signal flashes its a circle with square at top with a x through it

does it have brackets round it?

bulbfailure.gif
This

brakelight.gif
Or this?

Heres a thaught, perhaps the brake bulbs have the wrong bulbs in them?

Saloons are supposed to have "380" twin filament stop/tail bulbs, whereas avants have seperate, tail and stop bulbs.

If you fitted a single stop bulb to a saloon, it would undoubtedly play havoc with the electrics.

bottom pic with brackets round it i have replaced what was in double filment bulbs on my avant they work fine just dash light stays on flahing narked off

If its an avant it shouldnt have double filament bulbs. Avants have seperate bulbs for stop and tail.

Alpine: The bulb on its own means headlights or rear sidelights are out, the bulb with the circle and brackets means brake lights are out.

wil hav to check there def double filment bulbs i wonder if it is causing other problems like the f in central lokin lockin us in when i press the break pedal ? not sure just pop the car !

If its an avant it shouldnt have double filament bulbs. Avants have seperate bulbs for stop and tail.

Alpine: The bulb on its own means headlights or rear sidelights are out, the bulb with the circle and brackets means brake lights are out.

cool, i did wonder as i have seen the brake light warning but not the other.

Theviking: Sorry mate, i'm talking *****.

The brake bulbs are twin filament, just been out and checked ours. No idea what i was thinking of!

Do they actually work?

It does sound a bit too coincidental that you;ve got a problem with your brake light warning light, and the car locks itself on pressing the pedal....

my tail lights have 4 bulbs break/tailights, indicators, reverse and fogs at top do u mean it a single filment for both ?break and lights ?

See my previous post ;)

It could be a faulty bulb monitoring box i guess. Or theres some kinda wiring fault somewhere.

all working central loking is an **** tho cheers:zen:

i've got this warning light too, but my brake lights work fine. It comes on with the ignition, before I have pressed the brake pedal?
where is the bulb monitoring box located?
cheers

Neil: it always comes on with the ignition.

The bulb monitoring box cant test the bulbs until you turn them on, so the warning appears until you brake. Once you brake it should come up "OK" and go out.

the light doesn't go out when I brake! just stays on permanently on the top half of the display in yellow? Could it be a dodgy brake switch?

Do the brake lights all work? If so then i'd imagine the first step would be to swap out the bulb monitoring box. Its in the relay panel in central electrics, you can just about reach it thru the side hatch bit where the fuses are.

Its a double width relay and i think its numbered "301"

ok just had a look and the relay I have is number 387 for headlights/bulb monitoring etc. Also looks like there is supposed to be a relay in location 3 as there are contacts in there. Is there a relay listing/drawing anywhere on the site?

cheers

Ours doesnt have anything 3 either. Its probably for some feature your car doesnt have.

Bulb box takes up 4 and 5.

Try another bulb monitoring box on there and see what happens...

ok i've swapped the box over, and no joy. its number 387 in top of pic. Is there anything else I can swap over?
cheers.
22022010149.jpg

22022010148.jpg

Last edited:
Not that i'm aware of.

The box should have Hella on it, then 2x55w, 2x21w, 2x5w written down the side yeh?

Are you positive all three brake lights are working and have the correct bulbs fitted? If so, and you've swapped in a known good bulb box, i can only imagine there is a problem with the data bus between the box and the dashboard? i can look up the pinouts for you if you tell me the year of your car.

I know that on our car, if you pull the bulb box out, the brake warning stays on permenantly (and none of the lights work)

I only have one wide relay box, you appear to have two... Whats the second one say on it?

yes the box has Hella on it. The other box I think is for the wipers/washers?. Every brake bulb is working, I will double check tomorrow and swop a few bulbs round see if that makes a difference. I have noticed the light in the bottom of the rear passenger door is not working, the bulb is good so may be door switch, but don't think that would make the brake bulb warning light stay on. As soon as i turn the igition i get the warning beep, so maybee a fault the pedal switch?

387 377
22022010150.jpg

Last edited:
ok, something weird has happened, got home from work this morning and had a play, managed to somehow blow the rear brakelight fuse (brake lights didn't work after this!) Basically I took the relay out with the ignition on and all sorts of warning symbols appeared? replaced relay and replaced fuse, and now the warning symbol i am getting is for the front brake pads, but I know 100% my brake lights were working before with the brakelight warning symbol coming up (and yes the fuse was good when I checked!)??

when I turn the ignition on it goes straight to the brake pad warning light with a beep,this does not flash like the brake light symbol I had? or maybee it was alternating between the two and the lcd couldnt keep up, making it look like a flashing brake light symbol? my dis display is a bit liney.

Sooo, the drivers side pad has no wear indicator to connect to, but the passenger side does and is connected? here is the source of the warning light now methinks.

but why is there no wear indicator on drivers side?

tried the paperclip and no joy, it prob measures resistance or something? may get some new pads with wear sensors methinks.

all sorted now no warning lights! put some new pads on! have never actually seen the radio station displayed in the dis! Also finished off fitting the mele hd controll arm set so need tracking done now, never seems to end when you work on your own car just keep finding things to do!

Cheers