1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahhhhh my bonnet release won't work...

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DJ-S3, May 19, 2013.

1. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Member

[May 19, 2013]
    Went to check my oil today as I do ever other weekend and when I pulled the bonnet release it pulled really easily, and I didn't hear the bonnet pop open. Not sure what I've done but now I can't open the bonnet.

Anyone know how to get the bonnet open without the release mechanism? Or how much it might cost if I've snapped the wire?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. radhaz

radhaz New Member

[May 19, 2013]
    I think you need to get the nose up in the air and use a long rod to flip the latch open. Likley your cable has come off.
  4. coreythorny

coreythorny Member

[May 19, 2013]
    As above. Will be a absolute nightmare! I'd be tempted to just take it to a garage save the frustration.
  5. autolatry

autolatry Active Member

[May 19, 2013]
    This happened to me recently, I'd taken the front end off as I'm doing work to it and I'd undone the cable from the wing so when the bonnet was shut I pulled the leaver it didn't tension.
    It was impossible to open from the inside / under the car. I tried for around 6 hours over a few days. As a last resort I had to ring the RAC. He wasn't happy when he opened it and saw my engine bay almost empty. He kept repeating that 'it wasn't a break down'. Lol. Nice guy though and gave me some free advice regarding changing the timing chains.