AGU temp gauge fault

ScottyG60

Reaction score
Hi there all, after posting and reading through a few posts i changed the water temp sensor for a genuine VAG item as the needle was intermittent or non moving mostly.

After replacement, on the drive the gauge went upto 90 after a few minutes but when driving yesterday it barely moves unless overtaking hard etc.

If the car is turned off then sat idling the gauges goes up but then drops down again when the cars moving, i did also get a thermostat but havent fitted it yet, the air does get hot from the vents however pretty quick which leads me to think it aint the thermo but worth a change anyway for peace of mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

100% your thermostat. Not a bad job to do, just a bit fiddly.

Reactions: ScottyG60
I did exactly the same bud. 100% the thermo. Mine was exactly the same. This is what I was confronted by when I pulled it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 139
I did exactly the same bud. 100% the thermo. Mine was exactly the same. This is what I was confronted by when I pulled it out

Jeezuz baxter! mine didnt look like that!!!!

Thanks for the help guys, replaced it just now and its workin a treat, kinda wished i replaced with genuine vag but all good, heaters are roasting now and temp gets upto 90oC in a few mins and stays there and the gf assures me its faster as i was copilot on test due to beery lubrications. also abs light didnt come on but i doubt this is related. now to fix the hunting revs when returning to idle.........

Clean the throttle body and reset it using vcds. Bouncing revs fixed! :)