1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGU engine into A4?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by macca, Oct 30, 2006.

1. macca

macca Member

[Oct 30, 2006]
    I have a 1998 A4 1.8T, it came originally with a AEB engine, i have since fitted a APU block and head which has after a very short mileage died. i liked the AEB because of the large port head which the APU doesn't have.

However I notice the AGU transverse unit has forged crank, can these blocks and head be used in longitudal formation? i realise that a complete engine with all external components such as turbo charger and manifolds won't work, but i was thinking of using the original AEB components.

Any help will be appreciated.

ps. on the APU the crank sprocket has decided to undo itself by the looks of it., is this a common fault? weird as it wasn't touched when i replaced engine over, but after 25 miles disaster struck.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. macattax

macattax Member

[Oct 31, 2006]
    WAy over my head there wow!
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Oct 31, 2006]
    As already stated, there is no reason they wont fit, with the right manifoldss etc on.I think the only head ache is likely to be connectors on senors IIRC.

Other than that,you get the benifit of a stronger engine,just slightly strangled by the AEB injetion system/ECU
  5. macca

macca Member

[Oct 31, 2006]
    yeah, i swapped all the sensors over onto the apu no probs, the injectors will be upgraded to larger flow, ecu will be remapped, so hopefully i have a plan,.
  6. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Oct 31, 2006]
    only difference between long and trans set up is the mounts and the sump.
    you can swap any head and block so long as you maintain the right c/r for your application.
    So long as you are not switch VVT with Non-VVT (and you can even get around that with some effort) you should be fine
  7. macca

macca Member

[Oct 31, 2006]
    cool, so my aeb head will fit on my apu block?