aftermarket xenons + MOT = ?? anyone hadany problems yet?

Ste - still not legal -

why not? it can't be fitted with washers or leveling, and they don't make any other headlights that could be fitted as all s2000's have hids

are you saying every imported s2000 is illigal?

There may be some allowance for imported cars, since they deviate from UK/EU manufacturing specs. Some aspects need to be met (ie addition of a rear fog light) to pass the SVA (or TUV or IOU whatever the damn test is called) which imports are subjected to, it's been a while since I owned an import so it's a bit hazy.

However my Legacy GTB had factory fitted HIDs, no washers but it did have levellers and it always passed the MOT (FYI) and I never got pulled. If what stated above is correct, then for the time I had my Legacy I was driving completely illegally as are umpteen other GTB owners along with the likes of Ste above...

If it is imported from outside the EU (I assume Japan?) and it doesn't comply with EU road law, then yes, it is illegal.

"Vehicles kept or used on the public highway in the UK must at all times comply with The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended)."

The only exception is if it meets one of the EU laws (which is how HID's are legal - if they are fitted with auto-levelling and a headlight washing system).

Right now, if your car has HID's and no washers, then it fails to meet these regulations or the EU ammendment.

This is the reason why some imports are so cheap: some countries enforce all their road regulations and render certain models uneconomical to import, therefore meaning there is a very small buyers market for those models that are illegal in certain parts of the world.

There may be some allowance for imported cars, since they deviate from UK/EU manufacturing specs. Some aspects need to be met (ie addition of a rear fog light) to pass the SVA (or TUV or IOU whatever the damn test is called) which imports are subjected to, it's been a while since I owned an import so it's a bit hazy.

Correct - the car can be adapted to meet the EU law that will then allow it to be used on UK roads.

Sorry to cause such a debate... it's the bigger picture I was pointing out, not whether the car can go through an MOT.
I'm now pleased I didn't mention Regulation 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 or Regulation 18 Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 as this would have really got people confused!

I'm now pleased I didn't mention Regulation 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 or Regulation 18 Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 as this would have really got people confused!

Ha ha.... I thought you were being facetious, but either your had a lucky guess or actually looked those up!!

Road Traffic Act 1988:
Regulation 42
Breach of other construction and use requirements.
A person who—
(a) contravenes or fails to comply with any construction or use requirement other than one within section 41A(a) or 41B(1)(a) [F2or 41D] of this Act, or
(b) uses on a road a motor vehicle or trailer which does not comply with such a requirement, or causes or permits a motor vehicle or trailer to be so used,

Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989
Obligatory lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices - Regulation 18.
—(1) Save as provided in the foregoing provisions of these Regulations and in paragraph (2), every vehicle of a class specified in a Table in Schedule 1 shall be fitted with lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices which–
(a)are of a type specified in column 1 of that Table, and
(b)comply with the relevant installation, alignment and performance requirements set out in the Schedule or Part of a Schedule shown against that type in column 2 of that Table.
(2) The requirements specified in paragraph (1) do not apply in respect of a lamp, reflector, rear marking or device of a type specified in column 1 of a Table in the case of a vehicle shown against it in column 3 of that Table.
(3) The requirements specified in paragraph (1) apply without prejudice to any additional requirements specified in regulations 20 and 21.
(4) The Schedules referred to in the Tables in Schedule 1 are Schedules 2 to 21.

the US-spec Corvette brake lights flash when braking and the UK regs say that the rear brake lights must all be constant, steady light
Slightly off-topic... doesn't ECE Regulation 48 allow for flashing brake lights when decelerating above a certain G (some UK spec Mercedes C class and Volvo V70 have this feature)?

not sure, but I think the ECE reg and UK law are specifically for stationary/steadilly decellerating vehicles... which therefore allows the G-sensor triggered flashing brake light for more extreme braking.

I think the Corvette one flashes at any sort of braking.