1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aftermarket wheel bearings,any good?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by afcjay, Feb 11, 2009.

1. afcjay

afcjay Member

imin need of a front wheel bearing and maybe a new hub (wont know until its stripped down)
    i called GSF today for a price and the hub is £49+ vat
    they do 2 wheel bearings,one is £18+ vat and the better one is £25+ vat

Has anyone fitted a GSF front wheel bearing?
    if so are they any good and which one did you get?
    do the cheaper ones last?

also does anyone know where you can get a front hub for less than £49+vat?

cheers
  2. Effect

Effect Member

TBH i think I paid < £50 for a genuine Audi wheel bearing
    I personally wouldn't skimp on a part that is gonna last 100k+ miles
  3. afcjay

afcjay Member

to be honest,its only a run around motor to be honest so didnt want to throw stupid money at it,although i didnt realise they were only around 50 from Audi.
    just thought id try and get some feedback on aftermarket bearings etc and see what kind of mileage people have got out of them
    ill be lucky if i do 3k a year in it to be honest
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

My experience of a lot of parts from GSF is that they use the same manufacturers as the OEM Audi parts only they don't have the 4 rings logo on them. I bought a clutch for my A4 from GSF saving myself a good £100+ and it was exactly the same. I also bought a cam belt tensioner damper from GSF recently which worked out about £20 cheaper and it was the same manufacturer and stampings as the one that came off and you could see where they have machined off the audi logo.

I have used GSF wheel bearings on my A4 and they have been fine. I don't know if there are 'extra' levels of QA applied to parts supplied to Audi but I suspect the cost is just to have the audi logo.

I have started checking prices from Audi recently though and if there is not much in it then I get an Audi genuine part but don't discount GSF as a supplier until you have. Also, I always ask if thats the best price they can do and both Audi and GSF have knocked at least 10% off... worth a punt.
  5. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

there are bearing then there are bearings, not had much experiance on a car but have at work on various machines. I only fit good quality bearings like SKF some of the cheapies just don`t last but if its a run about id go for the better quality ones from GSF