1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket unit into B5

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by acf8181, Aug 23, 2011.

1. acf8181

acf8181 Member

Ok, finally managed to remove the concert and got my new unit plugged in using PC6401 adapter. At first didnt get any rear speaker sound but quickly worked out i needed to connect the blue wire to my HU's amp switch output.

However, the sound still sounds a bit odd from the rear, not quite as good as it did with the concert....i may be going mad but i think i remember reading a thread on here (that after half hour of trying to find i can't) where it says it will sound not so good due to the rear speakers running from the HU speaker outputs rather than rca's....is this correct? If so shall i just get a rca to speaker output adapter and splice that into the loom so the rears run from the HU rca's?

Hope that makes sense

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. acf8181

acf8181 Member

Oh, its a 99 model non bose

4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No it won't sound right because the rears have their own amp, so by using the 401 adapter you are feeding the rear RCA's into the feeble 2 x 20w Nokia amp, whilst the fronts are getting a healthy 2 x 50w from the HU's internal amp. Far better to rewire the rears directly to the HU and bypass the poxy thing

5. AR-rkon

AR-rkon Mod back in a "B"
    Staff Member Moderator Regional Rep Team V6 Team Silver Audi A6 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

As andy has said, either replace or bypass the amp...

6. acf8181

acf8181 Member

Gotcha.

Is there not a rear sub as well?

7. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!
    VCDS Map User

Yes, the amp and sub are in one black plastic unit hidden behind the trim in the boot. I have fitted and Aftermarket HU and fitted my own amp and sub. Rewired the back door speakers and the sound is 100 times better. Ditch the Audi amp/sub as it's pants with an aftermarket HU!

Easy enough to do.

MrGrumpy30 likes this.