1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket Stereo in S3... Would you?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by god_thats_quick, Jan 23, 2006.

1. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Hi All,

Would having a good aftermarket car stereo installed in an S3 put you off buying it?

I've been fed up of the Audi stereo for ages and I've got myself a nice Nakamichi Headunit as a start, but the installation of a sub (Andy Mac stealth or similar) and an amp to drive the sub and rear speakers will be almost impossible to remove IF I ever need to sell the car.

It will all be high quality stuff and will be fitted so you can't see anything other than the headunit so what does everyone think - would it put you off buying a car or not or might you even see it as a positive as you can connect an MP3 plater / Ipod to this stereo?

Cheers,

Ben.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jan 23, 2006]
    man thats a hard one.

Personally I wouldn't have bought my S3 with one, but I was on the lookout for as high-a-spec as possible and 100% factory. I wouldn't have bought one with an aftermarket stereo in a car this age as it ruins the flat fronted facia, especially on double DIN's.

However, if I wanted to change it, I wouldn't let it put me off doing it. After all, it's your car, enjoy it!
  4. god_thats_quick

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Maybe I should give more info... It's a 2000 Pre facelift S3 with Single Din, so it will look almost factory fit when done and the Nakamichi matches the Dash very well too. It's also has a new engine so I'm guessing I'll be looking for a very particular buyer anyway.

The only reason I've not already done it is the possiblity I'll need to sell the car within the year due to getting a company car.
  5. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jan 23, 2006]
    sounds to me then that a decent Nakamichi could well increase its desirability then.

To me, a high end head unit (and i'm not talking ten subs with neons) on a middle aged car shows that the owner has taste and the ability and means to look after a car.
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Jan 23, 2006]
    After working as a car audio and alarm fitter for a number of years and seeing the mess behind some "neat" looking installs, no I personally wouldn't buy a car with a non factory unit.

But loads of people would.
  7. a3daveo

a3daveo Member

[Jan 23, 2006]
    As long as the stereo is good quality and in keeping with the rest of the interior then I don't think it makes any difference at all. Keep the reciept to show it has been professionally fitted and keep the factory head as an option when selling the car.

As long as you don't work on the boy racer 'I look and sound like a tw*t' theory then I wouldn't think it would make any difference. Your not likely to recoup the money spent but I think the audi heads aren't the best anyway.
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 23, 2006]
    I'd go ahead then de-install it all if you need to sell.
    1. No reason for buyers to be put off thinking "what else has he buggered around with?"
    2. The stereo won't add any value, and may put people off, but more importantly is far more valuable to sell seperately or keep for next car.

When I sold my wifes A3T I deinstalled the stealth sub/amp, Alpine HU, and the upgraded cabin speakers. It only took a couple of hours and is a helluva lot faster than the original installation.

As it turned out the guy who bought the car would have liked to have kept it all but he wouldn't have paid extra for it and I ended up getting £400+ for it all on ebay.
  9. god_thats_quick

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Hi Andy,

Can you still refit the Audi sub once you've fitted the stealth sub, I thought you had to cut off some of the fixings for the original to fit the stealth? This was the main reason for me asking the question as I assumed you couldn't re-fit the audi rubbish.

Cheers,

Ben.
  10. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Andymac sub is reversible, even though you cut off one of the fixings, hardest part of it is removing the panels TBH, putting it all back together takes half the time lol.
  11. amoani

amoani Member

[Jan 24, 2006]
    I purchased my S3 with an aftermarket stereo in. The stereo that was in it fits in well with the overall theme of the car. The display can be changed colour and is set as the same red that all the interior dash lights use and as i have got a pre facelift with the onyx affect in, it also matches that. I also fitted a JL audio 12" sub and a rockford fosgate amp. These can be easily removed and i will probably remove it all when i sell the car as I have still got the original headunit. I cant see the problem with having aftermarkets headunits as long as they fit the original theme of the car, It would look a mes if you had say, a silver headunit with blue display.

Aaron

This is the stereo that i have.

[​IMG]
  12. MattS3

MattS3 Member

[Jan 24, 2006]
    I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Would really like to get MP3's in the S3 but only have the Chorus coupled up to a 6 disc changer.
    One option is to buy an ipod (£180) and a dension link, (£100) but that means I thne have to mount the Pod in the car. Again dont wanna do that due the nokia phone kit being there currently and the car will look like the star ship enterprise.
    If I locate the ipod in the glovebox, I then can't see what Album etc is selected.
    Have found a Pioneer headunit (£350) that plays MP3 and is also Bluetooth, so could then lose the phone kit, but the display is blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  13. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jan 25, 2006]
    TBH matt, I mounted my dension on the centre console thinking there's no way I could live without the ID3 tags. In reality, I never even look at it, or use the IPOD controls. If I had the choice again (which I do I guess, just can't be arsed), I'd mount it in the glovebox.
  14. MattS3

MattS3 Member

[Jan 25, 2006]
    Sorry, I've hijacked this thread abit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm now almost at the brink of buying a Phatnoise box from the states, seems ideal, and the cost is around £130 delivered. This should just fit where the CD changer goes I believe
  15. god_thats_quick

[Jan 25, 2006]
    Nope doesn't look hijacked to me, thanks for the replies I think I'll go ahead with what I want to do, then try and sell it with mods first on here if the time comes and if it doesn't sell change it back to standard!