Aftermarket radio, rubbish reception!

MxGaza33

Reaction score
I've just fitted a new pioneer 8400bt head unit into my 2005 A3, but now I've got it hooked up the radio reception is terrible so some stations I can't even pick up! The original radio uses 2 aerials is seems, one is a fakra the other is coaxial (I think that's what it's called!). The adapter I bought uses the fakra cable connection and goes into the back of the radio plus the adapter is hooked up to 12v via another cable. The reception seems the same regardless if the fakra connector is connected or not so something's not right! Is there a aerial amplifier that requires 12v to power up on both aerials? If not is it possible the amplifier is connected to the coaxial aerial not the fakra? Clutching at straws here so any help would be appreciated!

Here's a picture of the adapter that I'm using:
http://www.connects2.co.uk/images/prodimages/prodview/ct27aa14.jpg

hi mate I had the same problem and was going to take it out it was that bad but found out that there are two adapters and you need to use the other one, I'm no expert but some of the members are and they should be able to help you, but once I changed the adapter it worked perfectly.

Hi MAte,

as i advised that blue 12v wire is very important. if its the same reception wether or not its connected then the blue wire does not have a solid connection and you need to sort that out.

post a pic of the wiring harness you have (try to tie together the loose cables so i can point out which ones you need to connect) and i will guide you exactly which wires go where

$(KGrHqN,!g8E1f1CoNIIBNZpRNRRjQ~~0_12.JPG

its hard to explain but the blue wire in the back of the headunits cabling has 2 ends, one end connects to the loose blue wire you can see in the wiring harness and the other end connects to the blue wire in the aerial adapter. just make sure you have a proper connection (cut off wire end and crimp the wires together or solder) otherwise it will not work. hope that makes sense

Ive got the blue wire from the adapter hooked up to the blue/white cable from the head unit. I've checked and double checked the blue wire, even checked the end of the fakra connection on the adapter with a multimeter to confirm there was 12v there. So its definetly something else!

right but the blue and white cable on the unit is just connected to the aerial adapter? as i am saying that there is another end of that blue and white cable (from back of headunit) that needs to be connected to an empty blue wire in the wiring harness (near the factory plugs)

Yup the blue and white cable goes to the blue cable on the wiring harness, I connected it to the blue on the aerial adapter using a scotch lock.

well as long as you have the iso connector from the aerial pushed all the way in then it should just work fine, admittingly not as good as OEM but there should be a noticeable difference if you disconnected the fakra.
if that doesnt work for you there is the other adapter that you could use and see if that helps?
Autoleads PC5-90 - Audi A2, A3, A4, A6, A8 ISO-DIN Aerial Adaptor

Will give that a try, not a huge loss if its still the same!

For what it's worth, I'm using the adapter that Ash linked (coax connection, not Fakra) and I get decent FM reception. Not quite as great as the factory radio using both leads, but very close.

Has anyone seen an aftermarket adapter that ties both the coax and Fakra leads into a standard antenna plug? It would be nice to fully utilize the factory diversity antenna with my Alpine unit.

I have the same reception problems on my Pioneer head unit and use a connects2 adaptor with built in amplifier which helps but is not as good as the factory head unit, strange indeed that so many folks have the same problem with after market head units?

I had the power injector on the normal co-ax connector on my 2005 A3, but the radio reception was never as good as the stock head-unit using both connectors.

That ISO adapter did the trick! Reception is great now, thanks ash!