Aftermarket pics

benr

Reaction score
Hi,
While waiting till i have some cash or till my stereo breaks im looking into stereo options.

Ive sort of decided on the becker GP as seems to look very standard and good quality. I was after one a couple of years ago but decided against it.

I beleive this will be plug and play no extra parts (apart from the usual vag 2 power wire swap and facia adapter)

Does anyone have any pics of aftermarket head units in an audi preferably becker but any will do, i just want to see how they fit and how out of place they look. I dont seem to be able to find many pics about.

Cheers
Ben

A3 2001,

But i am sure any pics would be helpful

Cheers

Not a Becker but here's my Blaupunkt in our B6:
DABfront.jpg

And Alpine in B5:
A4b5centreconsole.jpg

Thanks ver much andy. How well does your DAB work i havent considered a DAB radio. Where does the antenna go?

Looks nice in your B6, doesnt sit flush but the way the dash is i think it suits it. Im not sure if one will suit my 8L as well

DAB works beautifully. There are 2 types of aerial you can install, the cheaper stick on one was a bit hopeless. When I had my windscreen replaced the stick on one got knackered so I upgraded to a proper glass mount one which is superb. No loss of signal anywhere, it made such a difference. One side sticks to the inside of the rear quarterlight, and the actual aerial sticks to the outside. It's fairly discreet, like an old school mobile phone aerial but without any drilling required.
I would have had a Becker if they did one with DAB. Still can't believe there are so few HU's available with DAB built in. Only Blaupunkt, JVC and Sony seem to do them. With everyone else you need an external box which gets expensive.

Just checking you didn't have CAN before matey, Here's my alpine in my A3 http://audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=596108&postcount=23;)

Cheers for these pics looks good. Im not sure if i currently have CAN yet. But that shouldnt make a diffrence should it?

DAB works beautifully. There are 2 types of aerial you can install, the cheaper stick on one was a bit hopeless. When I had my windscreen replaced the stick on one got knackered so I upgraded to a proper glass mount one which is superb. No loss of signal anywhere, it made such a difference. One side sticks to the inside of the rear quarterlight, and the actual aerial sticks to the outside. It's fairly discreet, like an old school mobile phone aerial but without any drilling required.
I would have had a Becker if they did one with DAB. Still can't believe there are so few HU's available with DAB built in. Only Blaupunkt, JVC and Sony seem to do them. With everyone else you need an external box which gets expensive.

Cheers for this very interesting post. I will see what comes up but i really wanted becker for the look and apparently good sound quality

Anyone got any 8L pics?

Around 2001 Audi changed the A3's over to CANBUS controlled power for the HU. So you could have either. Check the black power ISO. If it only has a brown earth and red/white perm live then you have CANBUS. If it has a 3rd thick yellow/red cable 2 along from the earth then you have a normal ignition on feed so no problem.
If you have CANBUS, then it means an aftermarket HU won't switch on/off with ignition. You'll either have to splice the ignition on feed to the perm live and turn on/off manually, or wire in an ignition on feed from either the fusebox (Radio S-Kont fuse, if you have one) or from under the steering column. Or simply wire it to a fuse that goes live with the ignition however this will turn the HU on/off with the engine rather than staying on until you pull the keys out. The S-Kont fuse remains live until you pull the keys out but not all A3's have them.

Ah, thanks again for your great replies. I will get looking to see if mine is CAN.

Before i was looking into a concert 2 and thought i really hope my car has CAN, now im hoping the other way around lol. I didnt realise it would make any difference with aftermarket

Thanks again

Ah, thanks again for your great replies. I will get looking to see if mine is CAN.

Before i was looking into a concert 2 and thought i really hope my car has CAN, now im hoping the other way around lol. I didnt realise it would make any difference with aftermarket

Thanks again

Looks like i dont have can. Thanks andy for your replies.

Also FYI looking on ELSA it seems to say CAN stereos are my2002 onwards.