1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket heatsheilding relacment?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by slowcoach3, Oct 8, 2012.

1. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Oct 8, 2012]
    My S3 turbo blanket heatshield ( oem ) keeps catching fire... Its the one that goes over the red charge pipe and the top of the turbo, to be fair its looking pretty ropey and old. Its not flaming just smoking very heavily!
    Is there any aftermarket options worth checking out as Audi want 60 +vat? I'm not driving it til its sorted but I want it done quickly as my daily drive is doing my head in lol
    Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 8, 2012]
    Only reason it would 'smoke' is if oil/water is getting on it... if thats the case then you haver other problems bud...

There are plenty of heatshielding products out there... fibre glass mat with the silver reflactive surface can be bought fairly cheaply... just don't buy the stuff thats designed to go behind a household radiator to reflect heat back... seen this done twice now!! 1000 deg radiant heat + foam backing = bad times...

<tuffty/>
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Oct 8, 2012]
    thanks tuffty, there is definately nothing on there that shouldn't be, its just a bit thin and frayed in places, getting on a bit lol.
    I'll have a proper look on gaybay later then, i'll be going for proper automotive stuff, i know how hot these engines get and i'm not keen on a fire under there!