Aftermarket DRL / Headlight Wiring

TheAnticitizen1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been trying to do some research into improving my DRL but so far I've had no luck!

I have a set of these: AU A3 5100
For the most part I am really pleased with them! they look great even when switched off! the problem I am having is the LED strips inside the headlight are powered by the sidelight instead of their own separate power which means if I set them to DRL via VCDS the dipped beams have to be on aswell which looks a bit naff so I have to do the old fashioned manual switch.

The other problem is when I indicate they do not dim which isn't so much of an issue as the indicator is clearly visible however I believe for MOT I need them to! I do not have an option in VCDS to add the dimming (can I update my ECU?) My solution would be to buy a separate DRL controller there are tons on various auction websites and they seem to work quiet nicely however because these lights are my side light if I disconnect the LED I get a lovely blown bulb error.

Can someone provide a wiring diagram for the headlight? I would like to place a resistor or connect a hidden 501 to trick the car into thinking the side lights are powered whilst running the LED from the seperate controller.

Any other ideas would be welcome!

Well for starters you cannot do any coding on VCDS for these lights as these are not genuine Audi headlights closing does not apply... The car will not recognise these lights at all.

locating the sidelight wire is pretty easy but I'm not sure how those aftermarket jobbies are wired so I won't be able to point you in the right direction, best thing I would say is get a multimeter and check the wires while the sidelight is switched on

Well for starters you cannot do any coding on VCDS for these lights as these are not genuine Audi headlights closing does not apply... The car will not recognise these lights at all.

locating the sidelight wire is pretty easy but I'm not sure how those aftermarket jobbies are wired so I won't be able to point you in the right direction, best thing I would say is get a multimeter and check the wires while the sidelight is switched on

Hi Ash,

The lights are coded via VCDS as Scandinavian (dipped and sidelight) which is how I have got them a DRL I was hoping to code the dim on turn signal option but my car does not have this :( I think later revisions do have this hence wondering if a ECU update form Audi might help?

I was hoping someone might have a pinout diagram for the headlight connector from the cars loom so I can modify the headlights loom without making any changes to the car itself (so I can revert to stock should the need arise) I'm thinking if I put a 501 where the LED connection would be and then for the LED's use the separate driver this should prevent the car from presenting the blown bulb error

I will try and get out with the multimeter if I can't find a diagram but the weather here in Maidstone is pretty crap at the moment!

Thanks

Mike

ok so the new CE module wont really help you... let me describe the problem

in order to get proper working DRLs you need one of the original Audi xenon headlights that have the DRLs in them, otherwise the car will just light up the dipped beams.

now to get 'dim on indicate' you need to have the newer ce module... but that function only activates if you have the coding set to bi-xenon headlights with LED drls which you dont have so you basically cant do anything with coding.

as for the wiring you can do something with... for the wiring pin outs have a look here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...2010-wiring-2010-cemc-module-please-help.html

Ash That's Brill Thank you!

I will use the diagram to bypass the sidelight and control the LED's via the separate driver!

I will upload pictures when the install is complete for anyone else with these headlights.