1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket boost pipes please!!! 1.9TDi 130

@udi A3 Jan 11, 2013

1. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

I'm seriously sick and tired of leaky boost pipes, and have tried SFS pipes but found them ill fitting.

Does anyone know of a top and bottom boost pipe setup for the sidemount cooler, or aftermarket side mount for my car?

If not do any of the sponsers here intend on producing a 'bolt on' product for my car?

I am toying with leaving my car with a shop to have them design and develop, but they were still asking what I would consider a full retail price.

TBH i am very tempted to hire an inverter and make a set of pipes myself, but I am strugling to keep my car off the road for any lenth of time and have no workshop facilities.

Tomorrow im going to make a pressure tester up and finally find the source of the leak, but its the third time ive ended up removing the pipes and refitting, only for the problem to reappear!

2. Cobra88

Cobra88 Active Member VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

3. @udi A3

Thats bizaar, it was Darkside who suggested making them up on my car, maybe a month or two ago as they didnt have the kits made or a jig to produce them! When did you order yours? Was it a good plug n play fit? I notice they use 51mm pipe rather than the larger that others use, imo 51mm is perfect.

EDIT:

Spoke to darkside and they made these over a quiet time over christmas, certainly dont hang about!
    Awesome price too compared to the rest of the market imo.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

Have you identified where the leak is coming from? I presume it's the joins in the pipes? Have you considering getting some uprated clamps (similar to the ones that come with that SMIC you linked? Check out Mikalor clamps.

If you really want to chance the whole IC system why not go for a proper FMIC, which not only would be cheaper than an uprated SMIC, but would do a better job too.

5. @udi A3

I have the stock side mount right now, and I have made a tester today so ill check tomorow. Darkside's kit is a complete upgrade of the side mount using a higher capacity alloy cooler, and it does away with most of the audi fittings, except the one on the turbo, and also loses the restriction on the turbo pancake pipe.

For what power ill ever run, and the hassle involved, i decided against a front mount. The only upgrade im likely to do now will be the 150 turbo when mine gives up.

There is always the option to upgrade to front mount later, the pipes could be utilised still with a little modification.

6. @udi A3

My coffepot pressureing up device didnt work :( Local garage thinks the turbos popped.
    im going bald through pulling hair out!

7. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

What is wrong with your car?

As for the stock piping being restrictive, I'm not so sure. I have read of people pushing nearly 300hp from their PD motors on stock pipe work. I haven't seen any dyno graphs of before/after a pancake pipe.

8. @udi A3

Squeeling air leak on boost. no apparent loss of power or smoke, noise goes when not under boost. Doesnt sound like a blown turbo imo, I might whip the bottom pipe off tomorow and confirm no abnormal play.

9. @udi A3

Well, went to a few places this morning to get to the bottom of this:

Garage one: advised possible turbo wear, needs replacing sooner rather than later, no boost leak. no charge.
    Garage two: too busy to check/drive , listened to a sound clip i recorded earlier and were 100% needed a new turbo. Free of charge
    Garage three: Smoke tested complete boost system upto but not including EGR delete, no leak. Smoke tested inlet and small leak. Assured me the turbo is nackered pull the bottom pipe off ill see. Charge £30
    Garage four: Email sent with vidio clip of noise, advised to check inlet manifold bolts, or possibly turbo failure.

So i tightened up two loose inlet bolts and the noise has gone!

Previously the noise I had associated with intake leaks was that of a leaf stuck in the air box or heater blower. Not this high pitched squeel. Needless to say three out of those 4 wont be getting my business when the turbo eventually does fail!

I find it quite insane how garages can say the turbos gone so easily, I wasnt convinced myself but wasnt able to test it on my driveway.