Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hyosung

Reaction score
So I don't really like the alloys that audi offered to me on the A3 so I went on ebay to look for some nicer ones and I came across a lot of listings similar to this one

4 X 19" TT RS STYLE ALLOY WHEELS FIT AUDI TT ALLOYS ROTOR STYLES ALLOYS | eBay

Now my question is considering how cheap these are compared to genuine ones sold by Audi how do they compare?

Is it worth the almost extra grand to get genuine ones?

Has anyone bought a fake set like this one and have any horror stories?

It's always an emotive subject - replicas v's genuine. I'm sure there'll be people along shortly to give you a balanced view point.

I've had both over the years and had both good and bad replicas. I've also shelled out big money for genuine BBS split rims

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on these particular rims as I've got no experience of them and been in a company car and family bus for a few years now.

Your doing the right thing though by asking the question as there are good and bad out there.

I would not trust my life on 'replica' wheels... Bit like Tescos value Lager.... might look OK but tastes like PI 55 D**

Reactions: DrTS, 45bvtc and lloydie1994
I'm with RAPS3. I have had some very good sets of reps in the past. You could literally not tell the difference, and did not warp or crack over some very large bumps.

I have had others though that didn't fair so well.

When going for reps, I tend to go with those who had a good rep, i.e. VMR, TSW, Hartmann, etc.

Reactions: Hyosung
Okay I'll look at those brands you recommended

I saw a TV programme that showed piles of failed alloy wheels. There are many being imported that a sub standard and made in China or else where.
I visited a large famous alloy wheel manufacturer in Germany and the necessary quality control is significant. As it would be for any OEM supplier. By all means buy after market alloys but buy from a reputable distributor and a known quality make, failing to do that could cost you your life along with any one else travelling in your car.
Buy from ebay? You must be crackers.

I agree, why spend £35k-ish on a car then buy £400 replica wheels?! You must be crazy.

X2 with that, sets a bad precedent for how the car will be looked after in general if something like the quality of the wheels is being skimped on IMO.

Reactions: 45bvtc
There are of course reputable manufacturers who actually supply Audi OEM. Ronal springs to mind..

There are of course reputable manufacturers who actually supply Audi OEM. Ronal springs to mind..

Agreed, it's the unbranded Chinese made stuff that is to be avoided. There's a reason they retail at about a quarter of the OEM price.

Agreed, it's the unbranded Chinese made stuff that is to be avoided. There's a reason they retail at about a quarter of the OEM price.

There are many aftermarket alloy wheel manufacturers such as Ronal, BBS etc.
However the fakers make branded fakes, not just wheels but fake major tyre brands too. The only way to be certain you're not buying something that can kill you is to buy from Audi, (etc) or the manufacturers approved agents. Steer clear of ebay.

Look at the following site.......
Counterfeit Car Workshop Manuals, Fake car parts and car spares forgery help and copyright support.

Or just do a Google search for counterfeit wheels, tyres etc etc............. You will be amazed what's out there.

I don't know how well replica's are for quality but i suppose if they are built by a good manufacturer you should be fine??.. they look wayy better than any wheels available from Audi, on the A3 atm though!

Media