1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After off Fans & Cooling

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by fuzion, May 12, 2013.

1. fuzion

fuzion Active Member

[May 12, 2013]
    Seems the fans are a common issue with the 8P models with a fair bit of information however the issues I have read aren't quite what I am having so apologies if there is a thread I have missed.

Car is S3 (2007.5) 8P1, fans are not running after the car is off. Whether how long they run or not I can't even remember.

No errors coming up through VCDS as well.

Could someone give me a quick run down of common issues. Assuming relays are working, control unit I am guessing working alright as well.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. jonny1985

jonny1985 Member

[May 12, 2013]
    The fans won't come on unless you have been thrashing it and engine is still super hot. But you shouldn't be turning the engine off if you have been thrashing it unless you have taken it easy the last few miles from home as it will cause problems later
  4. coreythorny

coreythorny Member

[May 12, 2013]
    This.
    If you're fans do kick in after you turn the car of you need to re-consider your warm up/cool down procedure. Any turbo car should be treated like this, infact it's good practice to do it with all cars.
  5. fuzion

fuzion Active Member

[May 12, 2013]
    Always let my car heat up and cool down if I give it a bit of a beating.

Just interesting as never stay on after car is turned off.

You have to remember I am in Sydney as well. Climate is a lot lot hotter. Not even in summer 30+ (Celsius) days did it come on after ign off
  6. jonny1985

jonny1985 Member

[May 12, 2013]
    the cooling system is working perfectly or maybe stat or fan issues
  7. fuzion

fuzion Active Member

[May 15, 2013]
    thinking some sort of fan issue as the cooling system is fine at present. Just curious how often peoplesl fans run as i never hear mine, and as i said our climate is a lot hotter than yours.. :) (summer 30s+ .. just to rub it in lol)
  8. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

[May 15, 2013]
    Always allow car to reach operating temprature before abusing it, by operating temp i mean check the oil temp not the coolant and radiator temprature, then when turbong off sit in the car and count to 25 then switch off its not hard or just get a FMIC lol
  9. wuta3

wuta3 Well-Known Member

[May 15, 2013]
    (a) Turbong ... that sounds amazing
    (b) Yea my fans never continue whiirrring after ignition off, I had a golf that kept its fans on for like 1 min after ingition off.,