After market head units

Jordan Bishop

Reaction score
I'm looking into a new stereo for my car. One of the ones designed specifically for a3s so they just slot straight in

Any recommendations?

What precisely do you want (in terms of features) and how much are you willing to pay?

Forgot to mention its to replace a symphony 2. I'm thinking between £200-£300 and just the basic features:
Bluetooth
DAB
Sat nav ETC

Last edited:
The top one is the one I was going to order next week but i'm still not 100% sure on the correct connection is to connect to the amp to get the rear speakers working. Also getting the 3g dongle and rear reverse camera. Not sure where to put the gps antena without it being to intrusive. Thought glove box but was told the signal wouldn't be strong enough.

You can place the GPS aerial in the dash, on top of the head unit cage. There is space between the two air vents.

If you have Bose or normal amplified system, then you will likely need either one or two ground loop[ isolators to remove the noise from the phono connections that come out of the HU or get a HiLo filter and use the amplified output speaker wires, so the signal passes through the filter and comes out as a deamplified signal to the amp.

Alternative is to replace the speakers and their wiring, which would allow you to drive them either directly or through an aftermarket amp, but this would be a more adventurous route and will cost a bit more. Results would be much, much better though.

Reactions: HHS3 and Sherv
Oh, and make sure to tape up any unused exposed phono connectors for aux in/out to avoid aany additional sources of interference.

Reactions: Sherv
Looks like a pretty decent unit!

May have to look into getting one of these in the near future.

@leshkin Can I hook the bluetooth with FBMFSW?

Indeed, for the money you can't beat them...

BT via MFSW is not something I tried - each of the manufacturers seem to implement this stuff slightly differently, so I would say it's not something that can be done out of the box. Saying that, if you are feeling brave or familiar with Android development, then XDA forum is full of clever people who provide some amazing customisation options.

Reactions: Dannymoto
I should really do a full review some time, just never find enough time to do it :)

My Android GPS antenna works fine in the space between the two central dash vents, haven't lost signal yet. However may move it to the A pillar, via the space behind the glove box for even better reception when I'm in very rural areas or driving in Europe.

I don't have BT via my MFSW, just volume up/down and skip tracks/radio station.

Must say my radio doesn't work as well as standard Concert system- doesn't pick up many channels...but I haven't had a proper go at rectifying that as I listen to MP3 via SD all of the time.

Must say my radio doesn't work as well as standard Concert system- doesn't pick up many channels...but I haven't had a proper go at rectifying that as I listen to MP3 via SD all of the time.

There's a fix for that on the forum,need to swap out the amp in the tail gate

Reactions: Zac
If you decide you don't mind something other than a straight switch-a-roo. I would recommend the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT which for navigation you have Android Auto and CarPlay. It has Bluetooth, it's FM though you could always use TuneIn and also other media compatibility USB/SD/DVD etc.

[photo=medium]6785[/photo]

Also have the Pioneer unit. The improvement in sound quality alone using stock speakers helps justify the higher cost. I don't quite like the mix n match fascia but can't fault the unit. I have all the extra connections in the glovebox - aux, USB and HDMI.

I have one of these units knocking about - will be on ebay at some point :)

However may move it to the A pillar, via the space behind the glove box for even better reception when I'm in very rural areas or driving in Europe.

Satellites dont care if youre in rural areas :)

Satellites dont care if youre in rural areas :)

Then why does the signal drop the further away from an urban area you are (in general)? If you go into the middle of the Scottish Highlands, your GPS signal generally isn't going to be as good (or lost) as it is in London. Just speaking anecdotally of course.

Then why does the signal drop the further away from an urban area you are (in general)? If you go into the middle of the Scottish Highlands, your GPS signal generally isn't going to be as good (or lost) as it is in London. Just speaking anecdotally of course.

I think it's more to do with where the gps satellites are in the sky and the size of the gps antenna, just as in some areas you'll see bigger satellite dishes for t.v. especially in the far north of the country.

T Will - your recommendation of the Pioneer AVHX unit is along the lines of what I'm interested in.
Could you give your views on it please - cost, installation, features, issues, pros and cons ?
Cheers
EJ

Hi everyone,

I installed one of those pumpkin ones on my Audi and I keep having a noise everytime I turn on the headlights and also I have a little whistle noise when I accelerate. Could anyone please advise which ground loop insolator should I buy? I found loads on ebay but I don't know which one is the right one. Thank you I'm advance

I purchased the unit for £423 from Amazon. The Connects2 Kit (CTKAU01) was £78 which includes all the parts you'll need for installation.

Installation was straight forward enough, more or less plug and play.

I bought it primarily for android auto and it works quite flawlessly, I haven't updated to the latest firmware as yet. The unit also allows for you to have Dual Zone. Its possible to have a different source in the back of the car than the front. I.e, play video to rear and music at the front. I haven't tested this as I don't have rear speakers :(

My only niggles are the slight delay in changing tracks from the steering column, you can't activate "OK Google" from the Tel icon on the steering wheel. You have to press the mic icon on the screen.
On another note, it doesn't display the track name on DIS.

I haven't had any big issues as of yet, *touches wood. It's a great unit.

The screen is removable as well.

T.Will - Do you get the 'Disclaimer' msg appear every time the unit switches on? Bit annoying having to press OK to see the display, although the unit does immediately play where you last left off.

Yes, I do get the disclaimer. It doesn't bother me as such, at least not yet.

If you have Bose or normal amplified system, then you will likely need either one or two ground loop[ isolators to remove the noise from the phono connections that come out of the HU or get a HiLo filter and use the amplified output speaker wires, so the signal passes through the filter and comes out as a deamplified signal to the amp.

Would this do the trick Leshkin? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCAL-FPS...446843?hash=item3f3a068a7b:g:QukAAOSwd4tTz8-b

Or would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-RCA-Lin...129103?hash=item4622b6ffcf:g:oycAAOSwirZTw6Jv

Thanks for your detailed descriptions, as always they're very helpful! I'll be getting one of the Android HU's later on the year, I've got the Bose sound system and have read that a PAC SNI35 Line Out Converter will sort out rear speaker issue regarding them not being very loud? In addition to that, a Ground Loop Isolator should fix the interference noise that comes through. Is there anything else you recommend that I should buy in order for me to get the clearest signal and most out of the HU please?

Sorry, can't help on that... I used a single isolator for the rear speakers as my fronts are already after market and are currently running off the head unit directly without any noise.

No probs Leshkin, thanks anyway.