1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFN tuning

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by jbh, Jun 8, 2013.

1. jbh

jbh TDi lover

right im going to be pulling the AFN lump out of my passat before it goes to the crusher and putting it in the garage just in case I ever need it..

yea I know there bullet proof extra but im running 2 vag cars with the same engine and I know this is a good one
    and ive got the space so... why not

anyway my thoughts is while its sitting in the garage what could I do to it to give it a bit more get up and go?
    would it benefit from headwork? would the cost outweigh the gain?
    what other stuff could I do?

currently my A4 has been remapped and according to the company that done it it should be seeing 145bhp and 295nm of torque
    ( that's there claimed figures ) she does go well but does have 246k but pulls better than the 130 passat I sold last year..

so my thoughts is I do work to the spare and once its ready drop it into the A4..

I know bigger nozzles and a turbo from a 130 pd passat will make a difference but I would like to get the best out of it but have it driveable as well
  2. adamss24

adamss24 Active Member

James, i usually port every diesel engine head i take apart to fix, so far i have tuned to date a few variations of the 1.9TDI VE engine with very, very good results ! Just to give you an example, this one i have rebuilt 2 years ago has put 158Bhp on a dyno with just a ported head, black INA lifters, lapped in valves, twin valve springs, AHU cam and stock turbo ! It also revs much freely and has potential of over 200Bhp with right tuning mods ! I still have a 220Bhp+ AHH 1.9Td engine sitting in the shed waiting for the right 1.9Tdi quattro...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jbh likes this.
  3. adamss24

adamss24 Active Member

The silver/grey b5 also standing next to it has a pd130 turbo, 0.216 nozzles (unknown origin-bought of ebay.de), 11mm pump from AHH engine (i just fitted it 2 weeks ago) and a mapped ECU, pd130 intake with EGR delete and a few more basic mods ! That pulls much better than a mapped PD130 and still returns 50Mpg average. I keep telling the new owner that it needs larger nozzles and a bv43 turbo ! Might buy it back soon as he's lusting after a v6 tdi to start modding !
    If i buy it back i will whip the head and replace the piston rings, no noticeable oil consumption but the engine has done 240k, still sweet as a nut ! Had a new Sachs clutch and brand new LUK flywheel fitted last summer as well, done 10k since...
    jbh likes this.