AFN general turbo question

MaverickTDi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was hoping that some of you more technically minded chaps might help me with a turbo query?

Basically I sold a standard OEM AFN turbo via eBay and the buyer requested a refund because the item, in his eyes, wasn't sold as described. Contained within my item description I mentioned that the shaft moved freely and that the bearings feel fine. He claims the shaft is very difficult to rotate. Being a responsible eBayer I accepted his request for a refund and said I will refund when the turbo is back in my possession. Turbo turned up today, so I gave it a once over and I wouldn't say the shaft is difficult to rotate at all. My question is, is the shaft, once rotated, supposed to continue freely? I was under the impression that when the oil feed is connected it lubricates the bearings helping the shaft spin better?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldnt have thaught it would, as without a pressurised oil feed the shaft will have a fair amount of drag.

I've just tried to spin the shaft on the K03 i've got sat here, and while it did continue to spin after i let go, it stopped almost immediately.

diesel turbo's tend to clog up worse than pertol onees, a blast thru the oild system with some brake cleaner and then re oiled would probably make it turn free-er. I saw one that was almost siezed due to crap, the turbo only worked when warm as the cokey sludgey stuff sort of melted to allow it to turn.

You'll damage the seals if you put brake cleaner trough the CHRA...

how will you damage seals they are mechanical rings?

Anything to push the crud thru will suffice, helll, clean oil would probably do it