AFB fuel pump

Looney540

Reaction score
I'm after a replacement fuel pump for my 1999 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro saloon but I'm proper struggling and second hand seems to be the only way but even that is proving difficult.

What models use the same fuel pump so I can search that. Does it have to be Quattro? Etc etc.

Thanks!!

Sell me the pump and then sell all the other bits to make your money back ;)

Anyone know what will and won't fit.

£400 for the pump, (theres one on ebay for £495) I assume it would fit although mine not quattro

Should of made it clear I'm after the one under the rear seats that sits in the tank.

Should of made it clear I'm after the one under the rear seats that sits in the tank.
Why do you need to change the in tank pump ? it's only there to lift fuel over from both sides of the tank and feed the baffle with fuel so it does not gets dry.

Because the garage diagnosed this as at fault and to be fair the previous owner (my best friend) butchered it when he accidentally put petrol in a few years ago.

You seem surprised its gone wrong? Not common then? Lol

Yes, not common at all. What does it do ? Is the car hard to start or comes up with faults on the diagnostic tests ? They can stop the engine from starting, the fuel shut down switch gets damaged and the car will just turn over without firing. Another issue is that the fuel gauge will indicate wrongly- there's 2 senders in the tank, one on each side and if they don't work in phase then the car will only use half the tank refusing to start even tough there's the other half left in...

There is no electrical pump to transfer fuel from one side to the other.

The return pipe has a sort of suction jet pump in it which is essentially a piece of plastic with a nozzle and a hole, which is used to lift fuel from the "other" bit of the tank and bring it down to the swirl pot.

Well, it started until I had the cambelt changed. Is it possible that when the front end was removed something was triggered that would cut the pump?

big problem with these cars is that if the fuel lines have been disturbed and the fuel in the lines has drained back to the tank they are very difficult to get the fuel to bleed through.

if there is air in the clear pipe going into the diesel pump this is the problem, you need to use a hand pump to suck the fuel through after filling the clear pipe with fuel.

try starting if it wont go spray a small amount of easy start into the intake