Saloon Aerial removal for roof wrapping

JamesCrs3

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully found a way to remove the aerial in order to properly wrap the roof?

Thanks

Has anyone successfully found a way to remove the aerial in order to properly wrap the roof?

Thanks

I’ve just emailed Leeds wrapping centre and they said the can do it in two hours for £99

I’d like that done and the black door trim wrapped in a clear wrap

It’s bonded and bolted. Headliner down job, lots of work. Most people will cut around then then wrap the Ariel is two parts, stretch over the front / sides and then cut a back piece. Had my PFL A3 done this way and to be honest it was a really good job.

Reactions: Phil3
To do it properly, the shark fin needs to come off. Moisture and water ingress will eventually loosen off the wrap and bubble underneath the aerial if you cut around it, you would have to put a sealant all the way around if you cut it there.

I’ve had mine wrapped and this is exactly what he said to me. If you want it done, do it properly. It’s not too bad actually, the headliner can be peeled back and it’s one bolt that holds it in place, he said it took him about and additional 20 mins or so to do than if the roof was flat one piece so it can’t be that hard. There are a few videos of shark fin removal of Audi cars on YT and looks fairly easy to be honest.

A roof wrap in 2hrs for £99 which includes shark fin removal and reinstall?

When I had mine done, the guy had my car most of the day.

I’ve just emailed Leeds wrapping centre and they said the can do it in two hours for £99

I’d like that done and the black door trim wrapped in a clear wrap
I'm guessing they will cut around the aerial then. Yeah that's a good shout, scratches so easily.

To do it properly, the shark fin needs to come off. Moisture and water ingress will eventually loosen off the wrap and bubble underneath the aerial if you cut around it, you would have to put a sealant all the way around if you cut it there.

I’ve had mine wrapped and this is exactly what he said to me. If you want it done, do it properly. It’s not too bad actually, the headliner can be peeled back and it’s one bolt that holds it in place, he said it took him about and additional 20 mins or so to do than if the roof was flat one piece so it can’t be that hard. There are a few videos of shark fin removal of Audi cars on YT and looks fairly easy to be honest.
Thanks for the info, any reason you didn't get your aerial wrapped when he had it off?

In order to remove the aerial you first have to remove and destroy those paddle extenders otherwise its not possible.

Reactions: teslaboy
In order to remove the aerial you first have to remove and destroy those paddle extenders otherwise its not possible.
Would probably be wiser if you removed yourself from existence since you are the only person who says they don't like them ;)

Would probably be wiser if you removed yourself from existence since you are the only person who says they don't like them ;)
Sorry mate, I'm not keen either! Some like you get in Porsches or Merc AMGs would look good I reckon?

Sorry mate, I'm not keen either! Some like you get in Porsches or Merc AMGs would look good I reckon?
You'd probably change your mind if you saw them in person. But each to their own, a lot of different taste here, probably due to age differences etc.

Reactions: D0C
No Nardo people going to bite with my comment above? :welcoming:

I guess its extra time to remove the headliner, etc but then you also save time apply the wrap as its a lot less fiddly wrapping a flat roof

Just an Fyi , that not many people are aware of - A friend of mine fell afoul of this .

You have to declare the wrap to the dvla if it changes the colour of the car, and also to your insurance ( as it's classed as a mod )

He's still battling an insurance claim nearly a year later.

Out of Interest I spoke to Admiral about wrapping my M3 and they quoted me an addition £125 a year ( My premium is only £360 atm )

Just an Fyi , that not many people are aware of - A friend of mine fell afoul of this .

You have to declare the wrap to the dvla if it changes the colour of the car, and also to your insurance ( as it's classed as a mod )

Out of Interest I spoke to Admiral about wrapping my M3 and they quoted me an addition £125 a year ( My premium is only £360 atm )

Its a shame about your friend, but it amazes me how many people dont know this. Just about any mod can affect your insurance. I told my insurer about ppf and dashcams and they were ok as the ppf is clear and doesnt change the colour. However, some joke insurers wanted to charge extra.

Wrapping a car, changes the colour and you need to declare that with your insurer. I always wonder if you should also tell the DVLA.

On the insurance company side - My wife had window tints ( Using the legal film at the dealer) done on her car several years ago. It limits the amount of insurers she can use and she pays a premium of about £100 for it.

On most websites they put the following disclaimer. It's the DVLA's view the change should be recorded as per below:

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.

Wrapping the roof of a car does not change the colour of the car though? DVLA wouldn't be interested surely.

Insurance wise, I wasn't charged any when I informed them, he just went okay, thanks for letting us know. If some insurers do bother, you could potentially just peel the wrap off the roof if you ended up making a claim where an assessor come out to inspect.

Of course though with a fully wrapped change of colour car, it would be stupid not to inform the DVLA and your insurer.