1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial gromit on S3 perished - Change the aerial for something more up to date??

chris-edin Nov 7, 2011

1. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

Hi guys,

Had a search around, not managed to find what i'm looking for.

The wee gromit at the base of my car aerial is a bit grotty, needs changing.

From a look around here Audi have stopped selling the gromit individually so you have to buy a full replacement aerial, is that right??

Wondering if anybody has used a VW part, maybe from a MK4 golf?

Also wondering if I could change the aerial for a smaller stubby aerial or a shark fin type unit? Anybody done this?

Is it a universal connector on the base of the original aerial?

Any help appreciated :thumbs:

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Newer antenna systems arent in roof antennas anymore, oem sharkfins are purely for gps, phone or remote electric heating, my opinion, replace like for like as I found out from my 99 S3 the antenna base has a pcb on bottom fed by a coaxial connector that I couldnt adapt to an alternative aftermarket type.

3. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

Ahh, booo

Thanks for the info mate, i'll stick with the standard aerial then, just a case of finding the aerial rubber, dont fancy buying a whole new aerial just for that wee gromit!

Cheers Chris

4. smurray

smurray Member

5. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

Thanks mate

There was one lad with a sharkfin, cant remember his name, he posted in the RNS-E thread.

Turquoise blue S3, black vinyl roof....

6. NHN

Well it couldnt of been an oem sharkfin as they dont support radio in any shape or form & if he fitted oem, then it was purely aesthetical.

7. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

I don't think it was any use as an aerial mate, I remember there being talk of cutting and splicing cables for power and stuff, not sure how the reception was after.

8. NHN

Well it is connected via a coaxial possibly fakra or the like connector, I dont recall any power wires to mine tbh.

9. Carpy25

Carpy25 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vag shark fin bolts straight on but as mine had duel radio and sat nav connectors it didn't match the radio only type connector so i used the one off the old base reception not the best but it weren't great in the valleys with the other one

Rob

this is a copy with the right connector to fit your radio only

VW PASSAT BORA POLO GOLF LUPO GTI SHARK FIN ANTENNA (VW FIN) | eBay

mine was a real Vag one but looks the same as

loads more on ebay
    vw shark fin | eBay

Rob

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

Ordered a wee gromit, think i'll stick with the original, want to maintain a decent reception :)

11. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Mine just arrived (shark fin) so I'll have a bash at fitting it later tonight... I'll report back in my thread.