1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aerial base - any detailed advice on removal & replacement would be great

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by billy-ray-valentine, Jan 8, 2013.

1. billy-ray-valentine

billy-ray-valentine New Member

[Jan 8, 2013]
    morning people, proud new owner of a 2002 S3 here (already love it like a son!) and first time poster so hello & happy new year to you all!

doing the usual new car niggle search & destroy thing and am trying to sort the radio reception (FM reasonable at best, AM non existent). after digging around on the forum it seems the aerial base is the most likely culprit. i've got the old type at the moment i believe, with the amplifier built into the base outside the car.

now i've removed the interior light to get at the aerial base securing nut no problem but i'm struggling with actually unplugging the cable as whatever it plugs into seems to be fixed to the car out of sight under the headliner. is it just a case of pulling on the cable till it unplugs? and how about plugging a replacement back in? seems to be very tricky or am i overthinking things?

also i've seen a couple of comments from people having replaced the original base with a redesigned one which has the amplifier sitting inside the roof skin. is this a standard mk2 a3 part that happens to fit the mk1 as well? can anyone shed any light on this or provide any part numbers?

thanks very much
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. taffjohn

taffjohn New Member

[Sep 11, 2013]
    Hello Billy,

Did you have any joy in fitting aerial base, I looked at it last night and managed to remove aerial from roof but aerial lead was attached to a socket, when i pulled this it revealed a bare wire, really confused as search many forums and can't find anywhere for help!
  4. billy-ray-valentine

[Oct 18, 2013]
    no joy at all taff. gave up to be honest mate. i have noticed that the A2 seems to have what appears to be an identical setup but I've not really researched this further. how about you, get anywhere?
  5. billy-ray-valentine

[Oct 18, 2013]
    as does the A1, no idea it it'd actually fit the 8L though