1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AEB large port head on BAM engine??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by crazyhilife, Apr 3, 2014.

1. crazyhilife

crazyhilife AudiHolic

Why would someone fit an AEB head on a BAM engine block?? I have owned my S3 for a good few months now and only just noticed it has AEB stamped on the head, The data badge in the boot has BAM 225, the AEB is a longitudinal engine with a measly 150bhp, I know my S3 had a Revo stage 1 before I bought it, I have good power from the engine and around 1.3 bar of boost. I dont know how I missed this when I bought the car but I'm a little confused as to why its not a BAM head,

Is there something that i'm missing?
  2. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D Cylinder Head Master

AEB has a large port head when a BAM is small port

Depending on the modifications been done the AEB maybe the better head for you?
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Because its a large port head where the BAM head is a smallport... large port heads are better for top end power, but small port heads are better for low down torque...

Small port heads are fine for 350hp but if going for a a larger framed turbo then large port is better...

I would imagine the previous owner spent too much time on forums and fitted the AEB to gain power (which is not as much as you would think on a K04) or the belt snapped, bent valves and this was a replacement based on reading forums and thinking it would be a better bet...

Doesn't matter that the AEB is longitudal... the castings for the head are the same....

<tuffty/>
  4. crazyhilife

crazyhilife AudiHolic

Thanks for the response, so It may not be as bad as I thought, depending on its past history of course, I know it had already had some mods done before I bought it but I was starting to panic a bit,
    Is this a fairly common mod on the BAM engine?
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Its a common mod on any 20v engine tbh... but normally more for the bigger turbo boys... large port head is also found on the AGU A3's...

<tuffty/>
  6. Callum-TT

Callum-TT Member

Happily swap it with my standard BAM head as I have a BT going on soon ;)
  7. crazyhilife

crazyhilife AudiHolic

Thanks for that offer Callum but I think I'll leave it be, I dont want to be creating more work than necessary
  8. crazyhilife

crazyhilife AudiHolic

I think i'm going to have a closer look at my engine at the weekend and see exactly whats going on,
    Thanks again for the help
  9. Callum-TT

Callum-TT Member

Cant blame a guy for trying lol :)