AEB clutch replacement.

Grantnz

Reaction score
As mentioned in another post, I have to replace the clutch in my AEB engined 1.8T Quattro.

This is my (low key) trackday car, and I am wondering what would be a good way to upgrade the clutch without having to import anything too fancy, as the freight to NZ can often be more than the purchased item.

I should have the car stripped down by the end of this weekend, which will tell me whether or not the flywheel needs replacing as well as the friction and pressure plates.
Is there an upgrade from within the VAG group that will be compatible with my engine? If so I may be able to source it locally.

hmm theres a few options, but nothing entirely bolt-on.

On mine, i used the flywheel from a old audi 80 4 cylinder, and had it redrilled to take the clutch from an early Audi S2. Unfortuantely all the bits are kinda rare, and ofcourse requires machining.
You can buy flywheels which take the S4 clutch, but these probably would need imported into NZ.
The one OEM option i've come across, but never actually managed to verify, is the flywheel and clutch from the AVF diesel engine on the B6 A4. In theory it should fit the 1.8T just fine, and takes a bigger beefier 240mm clutch designed for diesel torques, but i believe it needs a different starter motor.

If your engine is mostly standard, and you want an easy life, you could just stick a new stock clutch in it.

Thanks for your reply Aragorn.
I too have heard of the clutch from the diesel being used. There were about 30 B5s sold new here with a powerful MTM upgrade that reputedly came with a clutch from a diesel engined model, but I havent been able to confirm any details.

From the diesel scene,the avf 240mm flywheel and clutch plate are the only thing to deal with the torque,the only thing I've read about the avf conversion is the inside on the bell housing needs a bit of 'adjusting' with an grinder to fit the 240mm bits in there.

After many delays including a family bereavement, I finally got my gearbox out, and as expected, the clutch release bearing had failed with quite a lot of plastic shavings in the bellhousing cavity. Everything else looks ok, but I will probably replace and upgrade the other clutch components while I am in there. A friend of my brother's is probably the leading performance clutch man in NZ, so I will pick his brains for some advice. The problem though is that he doesnt have a budget perspective as I must.
I will probably replace the slave cylinder even though it seems ok apart from my tearing the boot on removal. Can the boot be bought separately?

It may take some time to get things moving as it is high summer here and the whole of NZ pretty much shuts down over the Christmas-New Year period.
More to come.......

At last NZ is getting back to work after the summer break. I have been in touch with My clutch contact and he can supply me with a complete VR6 single mass clutch assembly for a very good price. His info is that the 1.8t can handle the single mass flywheel option with no problems. He did ask whether my DMF had the ring gear at the base of the flywheel next to the block, or about 10-15mm out. Mine is the latter, which is apparently a lot cheaper. I am looking forward to it arriving and getting back to work on the car after so many delays.

On an unrelated note, my S2000 airfilter arrived today. I will have to relocate the MAF sensor, so am researching that at the moment. Some advocate the S2000 filter, others say the standard one is fine until big horsepower is needed. I dunno!

Last edited:
Oh dear, I will get back to him and verify just what I am getting. He said VR6 when I asked about a stronger pressure plate, so I assumed the whole thing was VR6.

Its a common upgrade for the transverse cars. You use a G60 flywheel and a VR6 clutch.

Its all specific to the transverse gearboxes used in the golf/a3's etc though.

Reactions: sam80quattro
I agree. Been there and tried it and had to put an old worn clutch back In lol

Ok, you were right, I was sent the wrong clutch. I returned it and also sent my old assembly back so there was no mistake the second time. I am being sent a single mass replacement that should do the trick, with a slightly upgraded from original pressure plate.
As long as it fits, it will satisfy me.