1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advise please

ebbs73 Jun 28, 2006

1. ebbs73

ebbs73 Member

my brother has a a4 130 , it has multitronic ,
    his problem , when he`s in cruise control the revs seem to go up and down ,
    hard to explain

just wonder if this was normal .

thanks
    chris

2. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V6 TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Team Tornado quattro Black Edition Audi S4 s tronic

That sounds like it's working as it's meant to. I have a petrol V6 with Multitronic & cruise control, and it does the same. Remember that the ECU links the engine, gearbox and cruise control together. They all talk to each other. If you're cruising at a steady speed & hit a hill, the cruise tells the ECU to to create more power to maintain the speed. As Multitronic is a CVT gearbox. this is achieved by a slight lowering of the gear ratio to generate some extra torque, hence the increase in revs. Once the hill flattens out, the Multitronic increases the gear ratio again & the revs fall.

3. ebbs73

ebbs73 Member

it does this all the time and kind of blips every 4-5 secs,
    even when it`s not in cruise control and just at a steady speed , only when your on the throttle . ?

chris

4. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V6 TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Team Tornado quattro Black Edition Audi S4 s tronic

Yes, on second thoughts, based on your second post, I'd have to agree with CMS. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were describing.

5. ebbs73

ebbs73 Member

it`s been hard to explain has i have not been in the car , he`s been telling me over the phone .
    i` will advise him of your thoughts.
    thank you
    chris