advise for a newbie please

chris@yoco

Reaction score
hi guys

new over here came over from edtion38 after owning a mk1 golf gti to a mk3 gti and many other golfs i am now in the process to buy a A3 1.6 on a S plate getting this as the car at a good price and always wanted a A3

my question is how easy and what has been done!! for me to carry out a engine conversion

was thinking 1.8t but what are my option for a easy transplant

regards
chris

Hi there.

Couldn't you save before buying this one and buy a 1.8T in the first place?

Nothing wrong with the 1.6 but it's not just the engine transplant, brakes, suspension etc. Is it worth it? Eventually you'll be replacing most of the mechanical bits on the 1.6 so i see little reason to start in the wrong place.

You'll also have insurances to think about with the engine conversion. I know it's easy enough buy is it worth the hassle? A nice 1.8T can be had for very very little money these days and is great value, great engine and lots of bang for your buck.

Just a thought.

G

thnaks for the advise guys was thinking the same thing

i needed to ask

good stuff. i can understand engine transplants in cars that ya want to make into a "sleepler" but changin engines from cars that look more or less the same and are in the same range i just dont understand the logic in it.sorry matey

Welcome...

Nice signature...:)

The 911 in the 4th picture is the one i'd have...:thumbsup:

the money you would spend to transplant the engine, box, running gear and brakes. not to mention telling your insurance company then you might as well just but the car in the first place :)

well think might just use the 1.6 for few months sell it on for a 1.8t

found few all under 2k

regards
chris

Going from a Mk1 GTI to a MK3 gti and then to an A3 1.6 is going to be awful...:sorry:

I'd scrap the idea personally and wait/save for the 1.8T...unless you really aren't bothered...

Going from a Mk1 GTI to a MK3 gti and then to an A3 1.6 is going to be awful...:sorry:

I'd scrap the idea personally and wait/save for the 1.8T...unless you really aren't bothered...

well yer mk1 was great fun but had to move to london so sold it was gutted
then came back into surrey had to get a daily so found a nice mk3 8v not as bad as thought after few mods now thats done around 160k miles now so need a new daily found a nice A3 1.6 for good price so have to stick with it for while

i have also been in the jap scene running rx7 to scoobies to evo's so these small engines is just a bore and hard work but due to funding at mo can't be to choosy

regards to the porsche think the 911 is the model and the 993 996 ect is the chassis i think your right does get well confussing

regards
chris

well guys

as it turns out now not getting the A3 i was ment to get due to guy being a right messer
still sticking with dub and picking up a passat B5 1.8t which was a great price too

project B5 will be rolling soon

cheers
chris