1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice regards buying a car - legal

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by 205man, May 3, 2010.

1. 205man

205man Active Member

hi, i need some advice for my gfriend.

she is looking to buy a peugeot 206gti and having spent last couple of weekends going to look at them she found one today she likes, so wanted to buy it.

its from a dealer (not main) and i had good look round the car and found a couple small faults that they said they would fix and would put 6 months tax and full mot on it for her.

i asked for the service history which its got then asked if its been hpi checked and was it all ok to which they said yes it all ok..........so she paid £250 cash deposit and was going to collect this week

NOW THE PROBLEM:

having got home i thought id hpi it anyway and it come up CAT C total loss and no record of VIC (vehicle identity check) ???? also on dvla enquiry web site it says it has a vic marker and that 1 is required.

where does she stand is he legally obliged to declare that it has cat c history?........all she wants is her deposit back

also according to the dvla if vehicle is cat c the v5 has to be handed back in and wont be re issued until it passes a vic check, yet i saw the v5 today???????????

need to know asap as we have to drive to derby to get the cash back so not happy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Good 2 B A Gooner

Simple mate - Sale of goods act. You can't advertise something as one thing and sell it as another. I'd tell them of this and then demand your money back.

I thought only Cat D's could be fixed and re-sold?

4. 205man

205man Active Member

no apparently catc and d can be but only cat c have to have a vic

5. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Yes he is obliged to tell you of the car being CAT-C as you asked. Go mad and demand your money back, if he get's snotty get Trading Standards involved.

Then look at something that isn't a 206 as they're *****, Clio 172 Cup would be a far better buy or Civic Type R

6. Oranoco

CAT-B's can be as well if you know how to play the system as there are a few loopholes. :(

7. 205man

205man Active Member

cheers guys

that was what i thought and was hoping you would tell me.....

lol i wanted her to get a 205gti (im on my number 6th lol) but she didnt want that old a car so was onlt looking for something cheapish to last her til end of year when she gets her a4 cab, and she doenst like clios

8. Oranoco

Nothing wrong with a 205 GTi. The 1.9 was and still is awesome fun

9. Good 2 B A Gooner

They fetch good money for a clean 1.9! As do good Mk 2 Golf 16v GTI's.

I wish i'd kept my MK3 now - It was the cleanest car ever - Not even a stone-chip on it!

#8 Good 2 B A Gooner, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Hope you got your deposit back, the mention of 'trading standards' usually works wonders towards a garage selling cars, so they should refund you with no hesitation.

11. 205man

205man Active Member

well they gave my money back and didnt agrue,.........i think the fact i may told white lie about id been speaking th the dvla etc about it this morning probably helped lol

sheers guys for the advice anyway

12. Oranoco

Good news mate :)

13. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Second that, good work. :icon_thumright: