Advice please: S4 avant or 2.0 TFSI 252ps avant.......Thanks

SteveH78

Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have an '06' A4 avant 2.0tdi 140 which I've had for 10years..........time for an upgrade. Im going to go petrol, really want an S4 but the running costs(what i think!!) scare me! Going to spend 20-30k. Obviously i won't be getting the MPG i get on my current car......Is the s4 really uneconomical compared to the 2.0 TFSI
Thanks

Hi mate, the MPG is pretty terrible on the 2.0 TFSI as well. I've got an automatic 2.0 TFSI Quattro and the fuel economy is roughly 20-25mpg around town and 30-36mpg on the motorway. If you're driving it hard expect around 15-20 mpg. If you go for a front wheel drive or manual then your MPG should be a bit better. Read on here that you loose about 6mpg just by having a quattro.

If I had 20-30k to spend I'd go for an S4. IMHO the 2.0 TFSI doesn't feel 'that' fast. Might be alright in a Golf but the A4 is an heavier car.

There's a nice S4 for sale near me, if I had the money I'd go for this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ising-location=at_cars&postcode=l354np&page=1

At the price point of a b8 or 8.5 s4 you get a car that's capable of 500bhp with sub £300 tax band 30mpg on motorway and it a great family car. I reckon I could also get a nice kip in my avant boot if the missus kicks me out!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8BallAddict and SteveH78
Thanks for the advice Adam......I did hear the mpg wasn't too great on the 2.0 TFSI as-well. Yes my next purchase is going to be an auto (Getting lazy now..lol) and Quattro
I did test drive an S4 avant at East Kent Audi on the wk end which would have been my at my absolute limit at £31000 and I did really like it...but they wouldn't drop the price...even by £500 unless i done finance....so i walked away!! I did watch the amount of miles left in the fuel tank go down quickly when i booted it though and was wondering how many miles id get out of a tank mainly driving around town( I work locally) then couple of motorway trips on the wk nd. On average we get about 450 miles in our old A4
Thanks

Just bought myself an S4 Avant. Motorway driving will get good returns. I eeked out 370 miles on a full tank whilst playing around with the thing on the motorway. Car was in comfort mostly so a lot more could be had by switching to efficiency mode and driving conservatively. However....... Now that I'm back in my native land (Scottish Highlands) where the motorway has not yet been invented and it would appear that they have just started experimenting with Dual Carriageways I can confirm that this figure plummets. I haven't done a full tank to work out the average range I'd expect for my personal driving habits but I expect it to be high 200's, maybe a little more (still having fun with it though). I could try and stretch it to see what the max would be but I'd be so bored by half a tank I'd probably drive myself off a bridge for a bit of light entertainment.

Neither engine you've specified will be anywhere near what you're getting but if you are sensible I'd guess you'd probably manage around 300 to the tank. I would however recommend the S4 as you've got a lot of torque to play with so the fuel required to accelerate the car to driving speeds all things being equal balances out the fuel deficit when comparing the V6 to the 4pot. Furthermore, it sounds a lot better :rock:.

Reactions: SteveH78
Thanks for the advice Adam......I did hear the mpg wasn't too great on the 2.0 TFSI as-well. Yes my next purchase is going to be an auto (Getting lazy now..lol) and Quattro
I did test drive an S4 avant at East Kent Audi on the wk end which would have been my at my absolute limit at £31000 and I did really like it...but they wouldn't drop the price...even by £500 unless i done finance....so i walked away!! I did watch the amount of miles left in the fuel tank go down quickly when i booted it though and was wondering how many miles id get out of a tank mainly driving around town( I work locally) then couple of motorway trips on the wk nd. On average we get about 450 miles in our old A4
Thanks

You could always take out the finance offer to get a sweeter deal and then pay it off straight away, or use the 14 day cooling off period to find an alternative way to finance it.

Have you ever considered leasing? Stable are doing a brand new (B9) S4 for £435 including vat for 24 months at 10k per annum.

They want 6 months as a deposit which is around £2610 then 23 months at £435 which is £10,005. All together you're looking at £12,615 to use a brand new car for two years. Whilst that might seem expensive you will never own the depreciation on the car and it'll always be in warranty and they'll pay the tax for the duration of the lease. Will be interesting to work out the depreciation on the one your looking at buying over two years and see which is the most expensive form of motoring.

Hi, @SteveH78

Either of the options you're considering will involve a big reduction in fuel economy from what you're driving now, but the relative difference between the two is pretty small. But the difference between the 2.0TFSI and the supercharged 3.0V6 in terms of performance, power delivery and mechanical refinement is vast. You can from my signature which one I chose, so you'll know I'm biased, but the S4 is one of the all-time greats.

Simple answer.
S4.
I had a A4 Quattro 2.0tfsi .
I now have a facelift A6 with the S4 engine.
There is a difference in fuel usage , but it's not that much. But the difference in drive and performance is huge.
And mine hasn't been mapped yet. ****** simos 8.3 ECU.

I get between 300-310 miles from a tank on my S4. I always wanted an S4 and have been very pleased with it.

The 2.0TFSI seems a bit problematic with the oil consumption issues.

And finally, you can do this on the S4....

Reactions: rocki3, SteveH78, V6_Man and 2 others
The real world difference is quite small MPG wise.The smiles per mile however ......... :) :s4addict:

Reactions: SteveH78, V6_Man, 8BallAddict and 1 other person
The real world difference is quite small MPG wise.The smiles per mile however ......... :) :s4addict:
Love it, "smiles per mile" for team Chav. You have brightened up my morning with that alone. :) x

Reactions: SteveH78, V6_Man and xpoweruk

XP, my new strap line. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SteveH78 and xpoweruk
@xpoweruk - I have stolen it and I have also recognised it came from you so, :respekt:

Reactions: xpoweruk, SteveH78 and jdp1962
@SteveH78, okay here is a very good plan, buy the S4 of your choice, keep it for happy days/holidays and buy a used SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V SC for normal commuting! Secondhand Ibiza 1.4 16V SC normally sell for peanuts and are normally reliable as they are basic!

I came into B8 S4 ownership while thinking that an B8 A4 3.2 V6 quattro would be a sensible replacement for my owned from new 13 year old B5 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6 - luckily I spotted that the MPH for the B8 A4 3.2 quattro was as bad as the big VX VXR, so it was then down to finding a good used 2.0TFSI B8 A4 quattro but finding a well speced one was not too easy, then I noticed that the S4 was actually a very good choice and even in almost basic form was well speced in all the important areas - so I got one, MPG probably slightly better than the old B5 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6, but much more fun, almost like being back in my 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16v 4x4, well as far as road manners and general feel, with the added bonus of much more power!

Edit:- just remember that while the S4 is still an A4 and not a unique model like the RS4 etc, the S4 is much more than an A4 quattro with a bigger engine than normal, the suspension is sorted out a lot more than just A4 S-Line with S-Line short but very firm springs! I happily run mine with 19" wheels in summer and it is still comfortable but firm - just like it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man and SteveH78
Thanks for all your advice guys......its got to be an S4 avant.
For the last couple of years Ive kept saying my next car has got to be a 4 tail piper!!! Lol
I will look into the finance and see if i can pay it off straight away and leasing ill look into aswell.
And ill post a piccy when I've eventually got it.
Thanks again!

Reactions: V6_Man
S5 here. Tuned to 480ish hp. I do 30 miles each way a day, mostly A and M roads. I get ~28mpg on average. I used to have a 2l A3 TDi which got low-mid 40's mpg. I do around 12k miles a year and I spend £100 extra a month on fuel. I spend a couple of hundred extra a year on insurance (it is tuned). I spend a couple of hundred a year extra on tax. Ignoring insurance, call it £1500 a year to drive an S5 over an A3. Your money, your choice....

Reactions: SteveH78 and V6_Man
Oh... and the fact I'm on 20" 265 tyres which are close to £250 a pop rather than £100ish for the A3. I reckon on a new set a year or so worst case. Add another £600 for tyres (although the S4 is a friendlier 19"/255 I think).

Reactions: V6_Man and SteveH78
S5 here. Tuned to 480ish hp. I do 30 miles each way a day, mostly A and M roads. I get ~28mpg on average. I used to have a 2l A3 TDi which got low-mid 40's mpg. I do around 12k miles a year and I spend £100 extra a month on fuel. I spend a couple of hundred extra a year on insurance (it is tuned). I spend a couple of hundred a year extra on tax. Ignoring insurance, call it £1500 a year to drive an S5 over an A3. Your money, your choice....

+1 with the caveat that I do 4 miles each way and get an average of 24mpg. My mileage should've been nearly 6000 miles max per year however I have done nearly 9k and think I haven't driven enough .
It's your money however as XP said, if you buy an S4 rest assured you'll have smile on your face for every mile you cover in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk and SteveH78
Buying on finance then settling the cash does seem to work, well going by what a lot of people have been doing on the SEAT and VW forums, crazy, but true, I just can't see how it can work, but it seems to!

Previous car was 2.0TFsi quattro avant with Revo stage 1 running approx 260bhp. Current car is B8.5 S4 avant with Revo stage 1+ approx 480bhp, real world mpg is very similar but performance is in a different league!

Reactions: V6_Man, Klickflip, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Pretty much the same situation as me and i only doing 8-9000mls a year........S4 me thinks........No brainer now!! Thanks

Reactions: arad85, V6_Man and xpoweruk
Looks like we're in competition for the next well spec'd cared for S4 @SteveH78 ...! Ha. What are you looking for spec wise?

I've only just got my b8 2.0TSFI quattro avant and this talk of similar mpg but more smiles per MPG is making me look on auto trader for S4s!
Or at least getting mine remapped..

Damn this forum :smiley:!!
Too many people with S4's and modded cars

Reactions: xpoweruk, SteveH78 and V6_Man
Looks like we're in competition for the next well spec'd cared for S4 @SteveH78 ...! Ha. What are you looking for spec wise?
Daytona Grey black edition S4 avant with panoramic sunroof, drive select, Flat bottom steering wheel, sports seats , low milage, 2-4 yrs old and under £30'000 and anything else is a bonus:smiley::smiley: (think ill be looking for a long time...Lol)

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
Daytona Grey black edition S4 avant with panoramic sunroof, drive select, Flat bottom steering wheel, sports seats , low milage, 2-4 yrs old and under £30'000 and anything else is a bonus:smiley::smiley: (think ill be looking for a long time...Lol)
Hens teeth...!!

Reactions: SteveH78, xpoweruk and V6_Man
I don't know. I might have to buy another one. :sly:

Hens teeth...!!

But surely this is where my "amazing" master plan of buying a well used MK5 Ibiza SC 1.4 16v 85PS - roughly 2010 reg, sell your current car and stalk the interweb for your high days and holidays proper car, ie an S4 of your choice?

My 2015 model S4 is more economical than the 2008 s3 or 2005 A4 2.0T quattro I had previously, particularly on motorways, 36.2mpg on recent 220 mile journey on the DIS, reality 2-3mpg less. It is not as economical as the 2011 3.0TDI A4 quattro I also had. It does depend on how you drive, if you use all the performance it's not going to be that economical, but you won't keep your license anyway! The 2015 model has an EU6 engine and lower emissions so is possibly slightly better than earlier versions. The 3.0TDI is a very good blend of performance and economy, if you can risk a diesel these days, but not as much fun as the S4.

You guys getting good fuel economy from your S4s and S5s are not driving them properly!

Reactions: SteveH78, mercules, CrypticS3 and 1 other person
@Dippy , good to see you back buddy :rock: you have been away from the forum for sometime now

I've only just got my b8 2.0TSFI quattro avant and this talk of similar mpg but more smiles per MPG is making me look on auto trader for S4s!
Or at least getting mine remapped..

Go on get a remap you won't regret it!

Damn this forum :smiley:!!
Too many people with S4's and modded cars

Reactions: Klickflip and xpoweruk