Advice please on TFSI Quattro viewed today (engine sound)

Veef13

pootling around
Reaction score
Hi all,

Viewed a couple of TFSI Quattros this weekend, and the second one appeared to be an excellent example.

Excellent condition inside and out, few optional upgrades and drove and pulled very well. Listening to the car idle, I heard a few chirps and noises that I'm not used to hearing (maybe jaded senses as last 3 cars were v6, v8 and i6) and was wondering if this idle sound is "normal"

http://vid23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/veef/Audi A3 TFSI Quattro/IMG_1584.mp4

Car is 2007, FSH (7 stamps 5 audi and 2 indy), 65k, cambelt done in 2012 at 25k.

Appreciate any insight.

Any thoughts guys?

Sounds like a diesel to me, feel I will walk away from this one. Too much risk and shouldn't sound like that at 65k FSH

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to my S3, but phone mics are not that great to be fair. Have you heard any other 2.0TFSI engines before? They do have a diesel sound quality to them on idle generally. I'd recommend that you view more cars and listen out for the engine sound to establish a baseline.

Reactions: Veef13 and grchmason
Doesn't matter what its sounds like to us. If you have any doubts just leave it and move on.
Interesting that it did only 25k in its first 5 years and then 40k in the next 3.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Aware that mic on phone would distort the sound but it's not far off what it sounded like, was a bit "agricultural".
I tested a FASH 105k one the day before and that had a similar sound but was quieter and no "chirps"
Listened to my friends 2005 golf gti today which I believe uses a similar engine and when cold it had that diesel like noise, but overall was much quieter than yesterday's car.
Time to move on as mentioned and as my gut was telling me. Shame as it was a nice spec and these cars are rare down south.
There are a few sportbacks close to me, although I want a 3dr I will take a listen to get a baseline as you say leshkin, great idea thank you.

Thanks for help all!

Reactions: leshkin
Nice, good luck in your search and do come back here for some great ideas on how to spend your hard earned moneys :-D

Haha will do. I have a bad habit of that, spent just under 2k modifying my 350z in last 12 months, and 4K over the years on my old 200sx eek!

Already been looking at retrofit section, oops!

I've just bought one and when looking around I was put off by the fact they sound like a diesel being hit by a bag of spanners but all the ones I looked at sounded the same so just jumped in, enjoying it too!

Mine does not sound like that (A5 2.0tfsi)
I don't think the car in question sounds too clever tbh!
My B7 2.0 tdi with a dodgy oil pump I had did not sound as diesely as that.
As said, if you think somethings a miss, it probably is imo.
Plenty fish in the sea

Mine does not sound like that (A5 2.0tfsi)
I don't think the car in question sounds too clever tbh!
My B7 2.0 tdi with a dodgy oil pump I had did not sound as diesely as that.
As said, if you think somethings a miss, it probably is imo.
Plenty fish in the sea

Hi, yup agreed, letting this one go as somethings not right. It might be cam link chain tensioner needing doing, or alternator etc so not massive jobs, but I'm not looking at repairing a car straight away.

Seems that A3 3dr TFSI Quattros are quite rare cars? So search may take a while, but I'll know the right one when I see it!

Reactions: Sandra
Its all down to engine oil and carbon build up on valves. They all sound diesel like so dont worry as long as there is no errors and you like the car buy it and join the TAP TAP TFSI club club :).

Reactions: leshkin
Its all down to engine oil and carbon build up on valves. They all sound diesel like so dont worry as long as there is no errors and you like the car buy it and join the TAP TAP TFSI club club :).

ah that is interesting and good to know ref the oil and carbon, thank you.
this one just sounded louder than other ones and there were some other rotational noises the others I have seen didn't have... went away after 2k was just at idle. Under load it got a lot quieter tbh

will keep on looking. could entertain this one with a hefty discount and decent warranty I suppose, but the doubt is there... so no

doing a bit of research if I'm correct these engines don't suffer from the reported oil consumption issues, that was post 2008 cars and engine codes beginning with 4 letters?

Can be coils or spark plugs, mine gets like that quite often as I run 360bhp with stage 2+ so I simply change the oil, plugs and cam follower every 5k to make the car sound spot on again.

Reactions: Sandra and Veef13
Can be coils or spark plugs, mine gets like that quite often as I run 360bhp with stage 2+ so I simply change the oil, plugs and cam follower every 5k to make the car sound spot on again.

thanks for the info.

how much is it to get a garage to do the cam follower out of interest? IIRC looking at some posts on here the parts are about £60-£100 as there are other bits you might as well do while there, and quite labour intensive?

on all previous cars done pretty much all work myself so might be a DIY job for me one day too :)

I have a 2006 56 plate 2.0TFSI special edition 3dr which will be up for sale very very soon as I've just got an 09 S3.

67k miles with lots of options that have been retrofitted by myself.

Factory extras are
Bose system
Bluetooth

I've retrofitted full 2012 S3 interior
S3 clocks
S3 pedals
S3 gear knob
S3 vents
S3 handbrake
S3 leather seats
S3 steering wheel
S3 climate
S3 switches
Electric Power folding door mirrors
Bi-xenon DRL headlights
MY09 rear lights

I've owned for that past 2 1/2 years and it's been an excellent car PM me if interested

Just noticed that the car I saw and declined has sold, the search continues!

Many thanks for all the help in this thread. This is a great introduction to the community :yahoo:

Reactions: CHEZ
The only thing I regret sometimes is not being able to find a decent S Line model. But then again, it makes it more of a sleeper car. Ive surprised a few s3 boys who expected me to disappear in their rear view only to find me side by side ;)

Reactions: RedDejavu and Veef13