1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Advice Please* 17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded P1555 - 35-10

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dany2k, Dec 12, 2010.

1. dany2k

dany2k Member

Hi all,
    I wonder if somebody can help.

I hooked up my fully registered version of Vagcom this afternoon, and the following fault code flagged up:

17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded
    P1555 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

What does this point towards for us A3 1.8T Quattro owners?

She pulls well enough throughout the rev range, but does have a hesitation in second gear... enough time for a 1.2 Fiesta to think it's got a chance coming off a sliproad :crying:

I've done some reading, and N75 Turbo Boost Valve and Diverter Valve seem to be the likeliest culprits. On a different note, I've recently changed the coolant temp sender and MAF sensor as a precaution, both with original VAG parts. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated, and I'll be sure to make sure I post up a final result if and when I get it sorted :p

Danny
  2. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

Yeah check the N75 and the vac pipe from it to the actuator. Also possibly worth trying the N249 bypass to see if its at fault.
  3. dany2k

dany2k Member

Cheers for that mate, will have a look tomorrow: darkness has already come. Do you/anyone else know know of any pics/links as to where the N75 is located? My previous turbo was a Classic Impreza, and things were a little... simpler!
  4. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

the N75 is at the top of the turbo inlet pipe, has 3 ports, one of which goes into the TIP. If you search N249 bypass, that is also worth trying, just need a bit of vac tubing providing its a AMK or BAM engine
  5. dany2k

dany2k Member

Thanks again mate, will give it a going over tomorrow!
  6. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

N75 or the actuator are the most likely causes of that issue. As above, check for splits/kinks in the N75/ piping in that area first.
  7. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

had the same problem on my car for months (if not a year), albeit it's an s3. no other errors have ever showed up. Occasionally i reset the error, but it would soon return. When we eventually got around to it the N75 was off, cleaned & refitted. Problem disappeared for about 5 months and now back again occasionally. Didn't notice any power difference before or after the error so reluctant to do anything about it at the moment. I'm not one of those people who revs the SH*t out of his car.

What I did notice about 6 months ago(?), my engine started to freely rev all the way to the top. Originally I use to feel significant surge at about the 2.7K rev point. Worried about this i took it to a garage who said evertything was within spec for my standard s3 and felt fine - And that is still how it drives currently at the moment.
  8. dany2k

dany2k Member

Hi Welly/thegoal007,
    Thanks for your input. I recently fitted a new longitudinal sensor, MAF sensor and coolant temp sender, and just took the time last night to clear the fault codes and also re-calibrate the new sensor... woah and behold, she's running absolutely bang on again now: no hesitation, and running very sweetly. I'm thinking maybe that the MAF sensor issue exacerbated the N75 issue, and made it throw up a duff code... I'll know for sure when I hook her up to Vagcom in a couple of days!

Now she's running bang on, maybe it's time to go for the Stage 1 re-map/upgrade to a K04 turbo! ;-)