Advice on what manifold for my BT build

motfree

Reaction score
Hey

I'm due to get my engine back next week and started looking for manifolds.

Im in going to be running either a gt3071r or a gtx30

Can anyone help with some advice on a good manifold that's not ridiculous money ???

Been told backdraft Motorsport cast manis are pretty good ?!

Any help much appreciated

Hey

I'm due to get my engine back next week and started looking for manifolds.

Im in going to be running either a gt3071r or a gtx30

Can anyone help with some advice on a good manifold that's not ridiculous money ???

Been told backdraft Motorsport cast manis are pretty good ?!

Any help much appreciated

backdraft ones aren't external wastegate.

i like cts one, seems a good alrounder and is used alot with very few complaints.

alternatively ask tuffty about the guy who made his, i think he is producing them on demand to the same spec.

See I'm not sure to go internal or external wastegate ... That's another thing I was going to ask advice on.

Tsr performance do a nice tubular mani but haven't spoken to anyone who's fitted one yet.

If going GT30 or bigger then go external gate... the end... even the GTX2867 is worth going ext gate on too... personally wouldn't use T25/int gate if looking for more than 350hp on a larger frame turbo

Bill has been using TSR manifolds as the guy that welded mine has been too busy to make any manifolds and not sure when he will be available to do so in the future..

StaceyS3 has fitted a TSR mani, Limbo is using one too and have seen a few on other cars... they work well and the latest ones have billet collectors...

Unfortunately decent manifolds cost money... the TSR tubular is one of the better ones on the market and is not that expensive in context..

One thing I have learned over the years of evolving mine is that to get the best from any turbo all the other components need to be right... a turbo is just one piece of the equation...

My log manifold (still £400) was compromised at high RPM and so would never realise the GT3071's full potential... the tubular manifold I now have with its proper merge collector will maximise the flow into the turbo and will produce the power at the top end where the log mani fell off..

Choose the bits you do your build with wisely...

<tuffty/>

My biggest regret is stating internal gate. Just don't do it.

the idea of BT is that it opens a new level of possibilities, with exchangable turbos should you wish, but only if you choose the right manifold/wastegate/housing configurations.

don't go cheap on the mani, i did, and now it will cost me alot of money to go to that next level.

im currently stuck in between.

Nortech performance will make you a manifold.
Will be custom to what you need an they are quality pieces of kit, there's another company but right now I can't remember the name,
There's alot of company out there that will make you a quality built manifold.

I think I'm going to go with the cts manifold,
Been a fair few people who have made big power on them.
But I'm in the same situation as you as what manifold to choose.

May even make my own, see how I feel.

Nortech make great manifolds... they supplied me with my merge collector... they used to make the JBS tubular manis too... not sure what 1.8t offerings they have tbh but they only seemed to use 1.25" nominal bore fittings which is fine for GT30's etc but I wanted 1.5" nominal bore for my GT35 and they told me they weren't taking on one off's at the time I wanted mine... don't know if they are willing to do it now of course but a one off would be more expensive than an already developed one..

Making my own was as much fun as it was frustrating lol... my requirements were quite particular to get the engine bay looking how I wanted

<tuffty/>

..oh and one last thing... use v-banded hotsides over T3 bolted ones (Tial or Garretts own) as they will save you a load of agro in the long run as well as being easier to fit etc

<tuffty/>