Advice on saving 2.8 30v B5 from the scrap man

grahams81

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, i'm a newbie here.... go easy

To cut a long story short I've been offered a free car by someone who i rent a flat off while I'm away with work.... It was a family car, been in their family for the last 14 years.... gradually replaced until being parked up around 18 months ago.

The family got offered £200 quid for scrap for it and just decided to leave it parked up, until i asked what they were doing with it..... she said she'd like to get rid of it but not scrapped and if i wanted it - it's mine for free.

I'm no stranger to VAG motors (i'm currently building a 4wd Big Turbo Seat Leon) so i know my way around a set of spanners.
I'm thinking of saving the car from the scrap man, and hopefully using it as a family car, or a future big turbo project.... you never know.

The condition of the car is brilliant, no rust... the interior looks like new. It's spent its life at the audi main dealers so i'm hoping its been well looked after.
The only downside is the seals around the front and rear windscreen have corroded and split.

I'm thinking new discs & pads, possibly timing belt.

Picture of the car -

IMG_1374_zpszgt3uhkq.jpg

So what else do i need to watch out for / check on these ?

Many Thanks for advice,
Graham.

not majorly clued up on the V6 lump but I would check the rear diff seals, oil level in the rear diff. if there's any noise from the rear it could be rear bearings. rear calipers are a pig for siezing up but youll know this as every other vag car with rear calipers is the same.

looks clean in the picture.. get it saved!!

Reactions: PAULF
Thanks mate, really appreciate the tips.

LOL And yeh i know the rear callipers very well :disappointed:

Thanks

the v6 is a pretty reliable lump tbh, what exactly is wrong with it that she was going to scrap it?!

The "seals" you mention arent seals at all, they're just alloy trims that finish the top edge of the glass.

the v6 is a pretty reliable lump tbh, what exactly is wrong with it that she was going to scrap it?!

The "seals" you mention arent seals at all, they're just alloy trims that finish the top edge of the glass.

Thats great info, thanks... i thought they were part of the window seals, it looks like aluminium coated in rubber. I'll have a look on VAGCAT and try and find a part number. Cheers for clearing that up.
Oh and there isn't really much wrong with it.... they parked it up when she bought a new A3 cab, her son used it for a few weeks then got a company car and it's been sat ever since. I asked her why she didn't just sell it and she said she didn't want any hassle (they are not short of few bob, so i believe it)
She mentioned the brakes were a bit spongy but i'll sort that.

Get it saved!! A free Audi!! Unheard of!

Yeh i think i'm going to save it from the scrap man.... pending a good look over first. No point spending £1000 on a car i don't really need... but i do want.
Been reading some B5 build threads and my mind is racing :grinning:

I'd keep an eye on suspension arms and bushes, they are bound to be a bit tired on a 15 year old car.

Reactions: PAULF
Look for rust on subframes.

It would be criminal to scrap a good Audi, but be prepared for one or two big bills if you decide to take it.

The V6 isn't exactly light-weight, and regardless of the mileage the suspension is bound to be showing a little middle age spread. New Bilstein shocks, bump stops all round and Meyle HD upper and lower control arms, ARB links and ARB bushes front and rear will transform the handling. Check the coil springs. It's not unusual to find one that's broken. Look at the tyres, the tread wear is a good indication of the general condition.

Road tax, then £290 a year buys you the privilege of running this gas guzzler! No idea regards average mpg. My TDI still returns 44mpg in the summer which suits me fine.

Definitely do the timing belt, thermostat (genuine of course), water pump, tensioner pulley, plus auxiliary belts.

Brakes can be overhauled with a Bigg Red kit, including troublesome rear calipers. Yes, these can be rebuilt. Avoid using the handbrake during prolonged wet weather and don't haul it on like you're parking a 747 and you'll find it actually doesn't need a lot if servicing. New Brembo discs and pads gets my vote.

As suggested, I'd drain and refill the rear diff. It'll come out like Mellow Birds, but new oil is just what it needs.

Any ABS issues, there's a good chance it's a broken reluctor ring on the rear hubs. Check the front CV joints, especially the rubber gaiters. Audi CV boots are as good as any, and I've tried a few makes including GKN, etc.