1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on order of work please!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Mattblack2004, May 12, 2008.

1. Mattblack2004

Mattblack2004 New Member

[May 12, 2008]
    Hi all,

Am thinking about getting the following work done and am going to have to go to a garage as am working away from home 5 days a week and don't have the time to do any of it myself. (Currently get home friday and leave sunday afternoon) also so of it a bit daunting for me to do in driveway:unsure: Bearing in mind what needs doing is there any particular order I should get stuff done in in order to cut down on costs if poss? As in I'm thinking Rad change and cam belt change together as both require removal of front bumper etc...
    It's a 98 A4 1.8. Can't remember off the top of my head what the engine code is but can have a look later and post if it will help at all.

here we go:
    New clutch - Very high biting point at the mo so think it's on its way

New suspension at front or possible steering - lots of creaking when turning wheel especially when cold in mornings ( have had lower arms replaced already & fluid all topped up)

New Radiator - current one is held together with sealant, it's hlding but when it goes it's gonna go big.

Cam belt change - It def needs this, best I can tell from paperwork is that it was done around 80K and am now on 152K!!

I can't afford to get it all done at once and may have to go to dealer for the cam belt so I can get a courtesy car to get to where I'm working for that week.!!!
    All suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!

:respekt:
  2. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 12, 2008]
    Well Rad and radiator can all be done in one hit as the front of the car needs to come off.

Creaking will def be control arms not unless it's more of a clicking noise then it will be the CV joints.

Clutch is a job on it's own but could be tied in to the control arms/CV joints which ever it is.
  3. smitch

smitch Active Member

[May 12, 2008]
    I'd get the cambelt done firtst though.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 12, 2008]
    Well the cam belt comes first, if it fails the engines toast.

The rad failing is pretty obvious as theres steam everywhere

the creaking suspension is an issue obviously and imo is probably more important than the radiator as if the balljoints were to collapse it could cause a serious accident.

The clutch is the last of the list tbh it will start to slip gradually as long as you dont roast it and even then if you drive it carefully you can still get around...

however the rad needs to come out to do the cam belt and a new one isnt particularly expensive (they're like £40 on ebay or from your local factors)

So, i'd do the cam belt and the rad first, then the suspension and the clutch when it dies.
  5. Mattblack2004

Mattblack2004 New Member

[May 14, 2008]
    Thanks to all for your opinions and advice! have got the car booked in for the Rad & cam belt...... am thinking might take a long weekend to do the clutch myself and see about sorting suspension as & when in couple of weeks.

Thanks again all:salute:
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 14, 2008]
    i would still try to get the suspension done before the clutch, ones keeping the wheels pointing the right direction and the others transmitting drive.

When wheels stop pointing in the correct direction Bad Things tend to happen, plus it will be wearing out your tyres etc which will end up costing you more money in the longer term

my clutch bites right at the very top of the pedal, but it doesn't slip at all and i'm not going to even consider replacing it until it does start slipping.
  7. smitch

smitch Active Member

[May 14, 2008]
    My old 1.8 T was the same. Very light too.

Jumping back in it from the S4 you could really notice it.
  8. Mattblack2004

Mattblack2004 New Member

[Jun 6, 2008]
    A big thanks guys for all your thoughts and opinions,

Got the Cam belt done and Rad at same time, they also kindly looked at the suspension and applied a bit of lubrication and all noises gone. They couldn't see anything else so have knocked that job off the list.

Just gonna follow everyone's advice and wait for the clutch to start slipping before thinking bout sorting it....

Could just be my imagination but she definately feels better to drive now with new rad and Belts...Is it wrong for a man to love his car??:rulez: